First Handling

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
After a year of owning T's and not handling any, i finaly handled my G. rosea...no big deal right??? Well I have been a life long arachnophobic....and ever since my first T...A. avic..i have been in love with all spiders, and have pretty much gotten completely over my fear...Thanks to all who have posted Handling threads to get my nerve up to do it...

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good for you:)

I would much rather handle a tarantula then deal with any other type of spider. I think the biggest problem is that people just don't understand T's and think just because they are a type of spider that they are all dangerous.

So many T's are so gentle and beautiful, how can you not want to hold one:?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I work at a pet store and you would be surprised how many people just don't know anything about T's. today some guy ask me how they remove the venom of a rose hair we had, I told him they don't and he freaked out, he thought that if you got bit you would die. so I spent around a half hour explaining it to him. and he just didn't get it.

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes it is amazing how uneducated people are....but can you blame them, considering all of the movies that are out, that call tarantulas and other spiders killers..

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by pixi14369
yes it is amazing how uneducated people are....but can you blame them, considering all of the movies that are out, that call tarantulas and other spiders killers..
yes you can. people are stupid and don't think logically.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
I don't remember the first time I picked up a spider. As a kid, I was always holding them - various house, cellar, and garden spiders. I even handled black widows until my uncle caught me and stomped on my shoe box collection:mad: ! That was dangerous and stupid, but I was a kid. I have my 7-year old Godson interested in them now. Of course, he wants one, but his mom is an arachnophobe. She did say my spiders are pretty - she was surprised. I'll have her holding one in a year.

I handled my first T the day I got it - I just don't have any fear of them. When I get my first old world spider:} .......

Ha, you might see a bite report from me under pokie.

Good for you, Pixi!

Dario

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i also was a total arachnophobe until i got my G. rosea. i went into a pet store after researching them and was determined to hold one.

i mean, i was SO phobic...damn.

so, it took me 45 minutes to hold her even though my boyfriend had, my friend at the store who was terrified had, this other employee had...it was beginning to get embarassing.

eventually it was my and my bf who was holding her. she was just calmly walking around and then she'd pause now and again.

it took EVERY nerve i had to keep my hand still for her to walk upon. then, i let her walk RIGHT back off! lol. it was maybe a total of two seconds, if that.

well, the next time i got ready (only took 15 minutes the second time...lol) i held her and was totally amazed.

i kept saying, 'she's so soft...so light...so gentle.'

i was in T love! (happy sigh) and now i own eight! :)

what a beautiful story eh? (smile)