First experience with brood of scorplings! 2nd Instar (?) - Help!

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
I have kept a couple of Hadrurus arizonensis (1.1) adults for a year. They mated last year and I just discovered today that the female has given birth to 25+ scorplings. She had been buried for weeks so I thought she might have died so I carefully uncovered her lair and discovered her with her brood. They have already left her back and I think that means they are i2(??) I'm completely inexperienced with this situation and I am hoping to get some suggestions. The young ones are exploring, digging, and climbing over each other.

I raise B. dubia roaches and have a bunch of tiny nymphs. I put many of these in their habitat to see if they would eat. I also killed an adult male dubia, broke it in half and put it in also, thinking they might eat that. I have no idea how to offer them water to drink. What I've done is all guesswork and I'm hoping to get some information so I can keep them alive and happy. Thank you.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
congrats on the brood. I'm by far no expert but i would suggest you try to carefully separate them into their own little delicups or tackle box and offer them a small roach each. by small i mean no bigger than the scorpions body. they will get moisture from there as well. keep the temps and humidity right and you shouldn't have a issue. move them to a larger enclosure when needed and repeat the process. fairly easy process. I'm sure someone more experienced will be along soon to chime in as well. good luck.

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and suggestions! I will be going out today to get a tackle box.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
you are very welcome. i would try for a tackle box with compartments that are 3-4 times the size of the scorpions length. example....if you have a 1inch scorpion, each compartment should be 3-4 inches wide and long.

also remember to burn in (or drill) numerous ventilation holes for EACH compartment. holes not big enough for the scorpions to escape ! ventilation is very important.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you do go the tacklebox/bead separator take this experience of mine into account.

This was one I used for some C. sculpturatus scorplings some years ago.
0715111340.jpg

I placed that in a bigger sterlite container as a precaution for possible escapes. Sure enough, there were a few escapees in the outside tub. Fixed that problem with well placed hot glue and packing tape. Next problem, the walls of this particular bead box weren't molded into its entire construction. It had tiny crevices between the corners of the removable walls that could've been used as traction to climb or squeeze somehow to the next compartment. To fix that use condiment cups with no lids, using the box's lid as a universal lid. If the cups don't sit flush with the lid you could use substrate to raise the levels of them or find a box with that is of one piece and no removable walls.

Feeding wise, flightless fruit flies would be easiest method for feeding as they are readily consumed by everyone. Some scorplings don't take to the chopped cricket/worm/dubia meal.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
i se organizer boxes from home depot. they are much thicker and better quality than cheap bead boxes found at most walmarts or dollor stores. some boxes, as your mentioned, do have removable dividers. i no longer use those because of the inconsistent gaps they can create at times. if you want a really good box that is pretty much escape proof, consider the one made by dewalt. it is something like like 4" deep in each compartment. the entire thing cost like $20 which is high but it is the best quality organizer i could find. i didn't spend the money on it but instead settled for a plastic type bin that still had good quality and double latching lid. a secondary plastic bin is always a good idea to prevent further escapes. cheap security!

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much again. I have purchased a tackle box with a translucent top and removable dividers that will allow compartment the size you recommended. I will put many very small holes in the top of each compartment.

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
That is quite helpful. Thank you very much. I have a tackle box now and it has compartment dividers so I can choose the compartment size. I also found out that my favorite local pet shop sells wingless fruit flies so I have many hundreds of those now. I have already tried a killed adult dubia roach and momma scorpion found that roach and ate it. Of course I am in the process now of separating the babies. The idea about having the box inside another box that is escape-proof is advice I will certainly follow. It's a great idea that I hadn't thought of. I will monitor frequently for escapes and scorpling travel from one compartment to the next.

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
Thank you. I saw small, pale, torn membranes in the enclosure and suspected that was their first molt.

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
i se organizer boxes from home depot. they are much thicker and better quality than cheap bead boxes found at most walmarts or dollor stores. some boxes, as your mentioned, do have removable dividers. i no longer use those because of the inconsistent gaps they can create at times. if you want a really good box that is pretty much escape proof, consider the one made by dewalt. it is something like like 4" deep in each compartment. the entire thing cost like $20 which is high but it is the best quality organizer i could find. i didn't spend the money on it but instead settled for a plastic type bin that still had good quality and double latching lid. a secondary plastic bin is always a good idea to prevent further escapes. cheap security!
I have gotten an organizer/tackle box with moveable partitions. It has a translucent lid with a double latch. I will put it down inside a larger container to handle potential escapes.

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
I just want to say that I am very impressed and grateful for all the helpful suggestions from everybody.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have gotten an organizer/tackle box with moveable partitions. It has a translucent lid with a double latch. I will put it down inside a larger container to handle potential escapes.
The removable walls were the ones we were advising against using. You need one of solid construction.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
you can likely get away with the removable divider thing. ive used them successfully before. just make sure the gaps are as small as possible.

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
Update: I separated the 28 babies a week ago. They are all doing great. Every one of them is an aggressive little hunter and expert digger already! Each of them has already eaten twice.