First Big Centipede questions

Hello,
Over the months I have grown to love this hobby I have a tiny (literally all tiny breeds) horde of Centipedes I found in my garden, I have grown damn near obsessed with tending for them but ever since my birthday in January I've been telling myself "Buy yourself a big pede, you deserve it girl!"
So my question is what centipede should I start with? (Besides Soil and Stone Centipedes which I already have) I've read Scolopendra Polymorpha is a good starter breed, but I have also heard it doesn't matter, which makes me want something unique like an Alipes Multicostis. But also they are all just so beautiful I could gaze at any breed all night, so any breed would fill my heart with butterflies! (I practically started crying when I found my tiny loves in my garden they are just so pure)
So what is the right breed and where is the right place to buy? I know a lot of online stores have good reviews but I still I have no personal experience buying a centipede.

Side note I've browsed Bugsincyberspace, Kenthebugguy and Bugzuk extensively. I know bugsincyberspace is in the US but I don't know if Bugzuk will ship US, anyone in the US buy from Bugzuk?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
You will find a multitude of sellers right here in the classifieds section from the US.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your best bet is to buy from dealers within the U.S. Even if others are willing to ship to the U.S. there may be problems with doing so. You might also contact the vendors directly and ask about current stock. Not all dealers keep their web pages up to date, and they may have more animals in stock than they list. Also, there are many hobbyists who breed centipedes, and they may have the best deals on captive born babies. Most of the larger species of Scolopendra are easy to keep in captivity, but you may want to start with something innocuous such as Scolopendra polymorpha - centipedes are skilled escape artists, and until you perfect your caging techniques you might not want to risk free-ranging S. dehaani.

NYAN

Arachnoking
So my question is what centipede should I start with? (Besides Soil and Stone Centipedes which I already have) I've read Scolopendra Polymorpha is a good starter breed,
There is no such thing as a breed for any invertebrate. They are all different species.

Recommended beginner species include Scolopendra polymorpha, Scolopendra viridis, and Ethmostigmus trigonopodus. If you don’t mind the price or size you can choose some of the SA giant species or even Scolopendra heros. I would stick with the first 3.

I don't know if Bugzuk will ship US, anyone in the US buy from Bugzuk?
No, they will not.

I also don’t personally like the ‘name brand’ websites due to higher prices and more limited selection. I also prefer to do business with individual sellers. Many of them are perfectly fine in basically all other aspects, so feel free to use them if you want. Just avoid any of the big reptile sellers online.

mellow

Arachnobaron
Scolopendra polymorpha was my first centipede, definitely an awesome beginner centipede. :D

Etleon6218

Arachnopeon
So I have kept T's, scorpions, assassin bugs, millipedes etc for a very long time so I consider myself an advanced keeper. All kinds of venom, speed, and general danger levels. So when I got a centipede I went with the very beautiful vietnamese centipede. A crazy dangerous but gorgeous insect. I lover her so much. However the issue with pedes is every species is venomous it's just a matter of how much so. This is a tricky species to keep because of how fast, crafty, and dangerous they can be. The thing I would say is all insects even centipedes have individual personalities. Mine was cautious when I first got her but not crazy aggresive. Plus with insects if they are in a tank that meets their needs...basically if they are happy and well cared for they wont be as aggressive or flighty they will be more content. That includes how if at all you interact with them. Basically centipedes are my favorite I love my vietnamese girl she is 7+ inches now but unless she is pouncing on prey she dosnt sprint or dash. Awesome species you just need to show them the resp ed ct they deserve and you'll be totally fine, but you need to go for it they're awesome....also for the U.S no online site beats pinchiesandpokies.com in my opinion. Great selection and they ship immediately and very well packaged.
Hope this helps some!

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
So I have kept T's, scorpions, assassin bugs, millipedes etc for a very long time so I consider myself an advanced keeper. All kinds of venom, speed, and general danger levels. So when I got a centipede I went with the very beautiful vietnamese centipede. A crazy dangerous but gorgeous insect. I lover her so much. However the issue with pedes is every species is venomous it's just a matter of how much so. This is a tricky species to keep because of how fast, crafty, and dangerous they can be. The thing I would say is all insects even centipedes have individual personalities. Mine was cautious when I first got her but not crazy aggresive. Plus with insects if they are in a tank that meets their needs..
Centipedes are myriapods not insects. Cheers

Koii

Arachnopeon
Bug, myriapod, insect, weird dog, w/e. It's clear from context and on a casual discussion board, no biggie :p

I just ordered my first big boy too! A vietnamese. Aside from bugsincyberspace, I've had surprisingly good luck through ebay. But I definitely check the seller's shop/reviews first.

Also, from what I remember you can get in a ton legal trouble for importing venomous critters without special licenses of you get caught. I would definitely recommend sticking to US sellers.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I have a CB Scolopendra mutilans that I got as a pedeling. Its doing great, growing quick and easy to keep. I'm ordering a CB Malaysian Cherry Red pedeling soon.
You have to remember that these are not handlable at all, and are capable of giving a very nasty bite.

Percy

Arachnopeon
Hello,
Over the months I have grown to love this hobby I have a tiny (literally all tiny breeds) horde of Centipedes I found in my garden, I have grown damn near obsessed with tending for them but ever since my birthday in January I've been telling myself "Buy yourself a big pede, you deserve it girl!"
So my question is what centipede should I start with? (Besides Soil and Stone Centipedes which I already have) I've read Scolopendra Polymorpha is a good starter breed, but I have also heard it doesn't matter, which makes me want something unique like an Alipes Multicostis. But also they are all just so beautiful I could gaze at any breed all night, so any breed would fill my heart with butterflies! (I practically started crying when I found my tiny loves in my garden they are just so pure)
So what is the right breed and where is the right place to buy? I know a lot of online stores have good reviews but I still I have no personal experience buying a centipede.

Side note I've browsed Bugsincyberspace, Kenthebugguy and Bugzuk extensively. I know bugsincyberspace is in the US but I don't know if Bugzuk will ship US, anyone in the US buy from Bugzuk?
Highly recommend Alipes species, they're awesome medium sized pedes. Just be aware they require a lot of humidity, unlike polymorpha, I've had Alipes grandidieri individuals for a while. Mine rarely burrow, almost always sitting on the top of their hides. They're timid, but I've never had one even attempt to bite. They do hiss and wag their tails, but they're best at running.

My first big pede(s) were two S. dehaani and one S. polymorpha. I didn't handle these guys unless it just happened, they're hot but if you have no idea how you react to their venom.. its best not to get bitten. Each pede tends to have their own quirks, one dehaani I had was very calm. The other was completely nuts.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Bug, myriapod, insect, weird dog, w/e. It's clear from context and on a casual discussion board, no biggie :p

I just ordered my first big boy too! A vietnamese. Aside from bugsincyberspace, I've had surprisingly good luck through ebay. But I definitely check the seller's shop/reviews first.

Also, from what I remember you can get in a ton legal trouble for importing venomous critters without special licenses of you get caught. I would definitely recommend sticking to US sellers.
Careful with those, a bite from pretty much any asian pede will be excruciatingly painful. Just remember to keep it in an escape proof enclosure and always use tongs. I’ve seen those for sale quite a lot and I’m tempted to buy them since those are the only cheap large pedes that are readily available, but god forbid if it somehow manages to escape or if it bites me