fire bellied toads....crickets as food

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have some firebellied toads and i wam feeding them crickets....without the vitimin power. do they realy need this.just realise this isnt the right place it post..... ohwell:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mithrandir

Arachnopeon
I've had Bombina orientalis for over 8 years and they are very very hardy animals. I almost never used vitamin powder, BUT i fed the crickets carrots, fish flakes, etc. When the weather was ok, I also caught feeders outside. Even when the season is not good, try catching earthworms for example.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what would they eat earthworms.....awesome. i feed my crickets carrot besause i heard it brightong up the frogs coular. do they only need the vitmin power for coular??:confused:

Mithrandir

Arachnopeon
hi,
yeah they eat about anything that fit in their mouths... but don't feed them too large earthworms. They can handle a lot, but a friend of mine lost a toad because it suffocated in a very big worm.
About the colour: the red belly develops when you give them carotenoids. These are also in carrots. Most people use carotenoid powder available in petshops. Bird breeders also use this powder for the feather colour.
Although it's beautiful such a red belly I haven't used such substances, it's a bit artificial to me and as long my toads were healthy, it was ok to me.

Last edited:

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yea thats how i feel just make it as natrul as possible all i do is feed the crix carrots!

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mithrandir said:
About the colour: the red belly develops when you give them carotenoids. These are also in carrots. Most people use carotenoid powder available in petshops.
I knew there was something. ;)