Finely Shredded Coconut Bark

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been using Forrest floor with out a problem for quite some time. I recently got tome bed a beast, which looks the same, but it has a strong odor to it. My A. geniculata doesn't seem to like it, as he (she) has climbed on some bark, and won't come down. Could it be moldy or have chemicals in it? I have some Schultz peat moss that I could use instead. Any advice?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok. I took out the coconut and put in peat moss mixed with a little bit of dirt. My t, is back on the dirt.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

congrats, good luck with your A.genetlica! may have spelled it wrong!

James

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've also noticed that different brands of coconut bedding have different smells. The Zoo Med (Eco Earth) brand smells sort of like barbecue!

I rarely use the stuff (of any brand) straight up, but I do find it useful as an additive to help support burrows. Usually I mix something like 60% peat, 20% coconut and 20% vermiculite (very rough estimate).

Wade

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
I have been using Forrest floor with out a problem for quite some time. I recently got tome bed a beast, which looks the same, but it has a strong odor to it. My A. geniculata doesn't seem to like it, as he (she) has climbed on some bark, and won't come down. Could it be moldy or have chemicals in it? I have some Schultz peat moss that I could use instead. Any advice?
I tried it once and didn't like it. It tends to mold when wet, and is pricey. I went back to pure peat moss. Your Schultz will work well for substrate.