Finding a jumping spider

killzabit

Arachnopeon
Hello, first post here. I hopefully have this in the correct place, I have seen some jumping spider posts in this forum.
As the title shows I am trying to find a jumping spider. I have watched videos and read articles but I am not having much luck.

Some info:
I live in Kansas (USA)
I have only seen one in the past few months and before that I never looked as I never thought I would ever get a spider pal.
The one that I did see was the (common name): Tan jumping spider from what I can gather.
I don't care which kind I find and I don't think I have a huge variety here anyways.
Today I found an apple tree with flies and ants eating apples on the ground. Didn't see any there but that's where I plan to check from now on since they have a lot of food there.
Any advice? it's been pretty hot here, between 80 and high 90's (fahrenheit). Sunny every day.
Am I just playing the waiting game now? One will pop up eventually? Is it too late in the year for me to have a decent chance to spot one?
I read that they should be "everywhere" but they are no nowhere when I want oneXD
I would additionally like to ask just how much sun this fellow will need, i have it's setup on my desk at home. Light does shine into this room but nothing special.
Thanks!

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Go for a hike. Hang out on a rock under a tree.
You'll find one.

Don't put an enclosure in the sun!

killzabit

Arachnopeon
Go for a hike. Hang out on a rock under a tree.
You'll find one.

Don't put an enclosure in the sun!
Is it ok that it only gets indirect light? im over 10 ft away from the window, im worried it wont be able to sun bathe.
i have been through one of the few forested areas i have here. Luck was not on my side that day. Plethora of other spiders here though. Crazy amount honestly. Thanks to chiggers and oak mites being plentiful in this area sitting under a tree would be a mistake on my partXD. Thanks for that quick reply!

Dusk2Dawn

Arachnopeon
Is it ok that it only gets indirect light? im over 10 ft away from the window, im worried it wont be able to sun bathe.
i have been through one of the few forested areas i have here. Luck was not on my side that day. Plethora of other spiders here though. Crazy amount honestly. Thanks to chiggers and oak mites being plentiful in this area sitting under a tree would be a mistake on my partXD. Thanks for that quick reply!
Indirect sunlight is good. Jumping spiders are diurnal. Direct sunlight in an enclosure, however, will literally bake them. If you can put it off to the side of the window, it should be good. Make sure the setup has plenty of space for the spider to explore and provide objects for it to climb on or hide inside, since they tend to be pretty active. Look in trees, under leaves, bark, rocks, etc. They're pretty much everywhere.
Good luck!

killzabit

Arachnopeon
Indirect sunlight is good. Jumping spiders are diurnal. Direct sunlight in an enclosure, however, will literally bake them. If you can put it off to the side of the window, it should be good. Make sure the setup has plenty of space for the spider to explore and provide objects for it to climb on or hide inside, since they tend to be pretty active. Look in trees, under leaves, bark, rocks, etc. They're pretty much everywhere.
Good luck!
Funny you say that.....I literally just one!!!! I failed catching it yesterday but got it today!!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i always see them along the walls and the hallways of my apartment complex the lil tan ones

Johnn

Arachnoknight
Look in the grassthats what I advise. I love be in ga and my last house had a few that would roam around inside. They're pretty cool. I like bigger spiders personally but my friend got some close ups of one and it looked pretty awesomeee

Johnn

Arachnoknight
Also bushes are good places to look but I'd check the grass