Finally

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One of my slings have finally went into pre molt with the blackness on its abdomen. since I don't label the enclosures my T's are in (because since most of them are at certain inches and can be ID'd by color) I'm not sure which sling it is...Its either my emilia or my parahybana...So maybe yall can help me....do both of these species get a bald spot?....I think I have my parahybana in the bigger enclosure because its suppose to grow faster and my emilia in the smaller one because its suppose to not grow as fast as the parahybana...Ironically I think the emilia is the one that went into premolt first lol...So does anyone wanna take some guesses as to which one went into pre molt?....More than likely I'm going to have to wait until it molts, this way if it has any color to it, yall can get a closer guess as to which one it is.. I'l try to take a picture but it may be kinda hard because most if not all slings have that same light tan color before their respective colors come in..

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry theres no way for anyone to know. Looking at them should make it fairly obvious unless they are tiny. Perhaps from now on just have some sort of identification? Even just a little mark on the top of of the vial?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry theres no way for anyone to know. Looking at them should make it fairly obvious unless they are tiny. Perhaps from now on just have some sort of identification? Even just a little mark on the top of of the vial?
that's a good idea but after they get some sort of color I won't need the ID's any more because I'm not getting any more slings after this but not because of the ID issue I just don't wany any slings...here go some pictures....the T in the clear vial I think is the parahybana..and the emilia is the one on the substrate. The on the substrate has a piece of substrate on him so just ignore that:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that's a good idea but after they get some sort of color I won't need the ID's any more because I'm not getting any more slings after this but not because of the ID issue I just don't wany any slings...here go some pictures....the T in the clear vial I think is the parahybana..and the emilia is the one on the substrate. The on the substrate has a piece of substrate on him so just ignore that:

What exactly do you want us to do with these pics? ID which is which or... what?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What exactly do you want us to do with these pics? ID which is which or... what?
If it was possible but its probably not..so basically im just showing pictures of my slings lol..enjoy...

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Is the first one always kept with no substrate or is that just for the picture?

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha, ok. Well, going from those pics I would say L.parahybana is in the first pic and B.emilia in the second, don't ask me why I know that cause it's nearly impossible to tell, but the second one just looks Brachypelmaish(not a word, made up).

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ha, ok. Well, going from those pics I would say L.parahybana is in the first pic and B.emilia in the second, don't ask me why I know that cause it's nearly impossible to tell, but the second one just looks Brachypelmaish(not a word, made up).
I'm going to agree with you just because if para's are bigger as adults then why wouldn't they be bigger as slings?....Does that sound fair to anyone else?

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going to agree with you just because if para's are bigger as adults then why wouldn't they be bigger as slings?....Does that sound fair to anyone else?
No because brachy's and aphonopelma's and probably a few other types tend to have that black circle on the back of their abdomen until they hit a certain molt and exhibit what amounts to actually looking like a hairy tarantula. When I had one, I don't remember ever seeing my para sling with the mark... all of my brachys and aphonos had it though.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually L.parahybana are small as slings, because they have hundreds, sometimes a thousand plus, slings in their eggsacs. Size isn't the best way to go about IDing either. You'll find out forsure as they grow.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would agree the second one appears more Brachypelmaish. ;)

But seriously, a Sharpie, works wonders. Two letters could have saved you all this trouble: "B.e" & "L.p". The Dollar Store just had a sale on Sharpies last time I was there, I use them for everything.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Om well one of my slings molted so maybe we can do this by color...when an emilia sling and a parahybana sling molt which one molts and ends up being all blue? one of them or both?? if its only one then I know which one molted first lol

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Om well one of my slings molted so maybe we can do this by color...when an emilia sling and a parahybana sling molt which one molts and ends up being all blue? one of them or both?? if its only one then I know which one molted first lol
I have a guess, but before I guess, can you get a picture.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
All slings look like that immediately post molt before their exoskeleton hardens. The only other way is with growth rates the L.parahybana will molt more frequently than the B.emilia and as a result grow faster. Or wait till the B.emilia starts to get adult colors.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just cut up a few small crickets in half at the waist for my emilia and parahybana slings..Will they eat these? and should I take em out after about two days or so? how long do you keep dead food in a slings enclosure?You can't really tell if their eating it or not because you don't see them, well I don't see mine eating ever so how will i know for sure that they are eating these?... do slings roll their food into balls also? or just adults and juveniles?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can't tell when your slings abdomen has increased in size:confused:

Pre killed cut up prey is just fine. Remove in the morning if it goes untouched for an evening.