Finally some activity

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Well after the first T experience, these 3 newbies are actually a real treat. The Metallic Pinktoe wasted no time constructing a beautiful web at the top of her enclosure, making me feel a bit proud of what I did for her. And I got my 1st tong feed with her. She doesn't waste time.

The 2 Rose Hairs are always out and about, sometimes doing slight remodeling of the substrate. And definitely not messing around when it comes to eating. Has anyone else had Rosies eating like Dragons? These girls are for real.

Now I do know for a fact the guy at Blazing Reptiles said they feed them pinkie mice. The smaller Rose Hair and the Pinktoe. So maybe this is why they are such heavy eaters. 2 crickets are probably like an insult to them now. But the larger Rose Hair is just mowing down 3 crickets easily.

I have them on my feeding schedule now, so I'll see if they bring it down a notch. Will be welcoming a Theraphosidae, a Brachypelma Vagan, and two Lasiadora Parahybanas (all slings) on Tuesday....

Quite a docile collection for the most part and that's great for my liking.

Spiral_Stairs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, It's really cool that after the pinktoe and G. roseas you found a Theraphosidae sling. Maybe after you get that you could try to find a Mygalomorphae. They are really awesome.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Wow, It's really cool that after the pinktoe and G. roseas you found a Theraphosidae sling. Maybe after you get that you could try to find a Mygalomorphae. They are really awesome.
I don't know if this is sarcastic or not... but G. rosea and all tarantulas are (in) Theraphosidae and Mygalomorphae. Theraphosidae is a family of spiders, the scientific name for "tarantulas" basically, and Mygalomorphae is an infraorder of spiders, containing a number of spider families including Theraphosidae.

Generally when you buy a tarantula the scientific name looks like e.g. Grammostola rosea, with a proper generic and specific name. But there are "pet trade names", some spiders which are not identified to a generic level, only to a subfamilial level e.g. Ornithoctoninae sp. "Orange Fringed" - this means that the spider is (supposed to be) a member of the subfamily Ornithoctoninae and that's all.

And there are some spiders in the trade which aren't even identified to a subfamilial level and they are sold as Theraphosidae sp. "something". It's a bit lame if you ask me.

Ingar

Arachnopeon
My rosie eat also like a dragon. She eating almoustly without stoping - middlesized lizzards, big hissing roaches, even adult mouses. I have most exciting time with her now - I feel that there comes some hybernation after all this.. It sometimes happen after that kinda like feeding time. Even my parahybana in comparison with that rosie is like slug :D

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Zoltan, it was a mistake when i was looking for the scientific name for the Oklahoma Brown (Aphonopelma hentzi) that's what it is. Sorry about that.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My rosie eat also like a dragon. She eating almoustly without stoping - middlesized lizzards, big hissing roaches, even adult mouses. I have most exciting time with her now - I feel that there comes some hybernation after all this.. It sometimes happen after that kinda like feeding time. Even my parahybana in comparison with that rosie is like slug :D
^You shouldn't be feeding your spiders these prey items.

My RCF rosea eats three crickets like it's nothing and could probably take more.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the new T's and the ones that will be arriving:clap:.
Thanks!! I was a bit iffy on the Redrump, seeing as it may be the most defensive of this collection, but it will be a toss-up between it and the LP's on who wins that defensive award I guess.

TerribleGrizz

Arachnopeon
I'm a little jealous actually, because right now I can't by anymore T's. Very frustrating:wall:. However, I am compliling a wishlist for when I can.

Congrats again. Hope they all turn out to be at least mostly docile. :D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks!! I was a bit iffy on the Redrump, seeing as it may be the most defensive of this collection, but it will be a toss-up between it and the LP's on who wins that defensive award I guess.
Grats on the new critters...

Though I have to point out one thing...

Each tarantula has its own personality.. For example..

I have had 2 male LPs in my care.. Only one was defensive.. The other was super chill.. Never kicked hairs or anything..

I have a 7.5" female LP in my care now.. She is not defensive at all.. Maybe a little skittish.. Kicks hair a little.. But not very often..

I have had one male B. vagans in my care.. It was a little skittish.. Never kicked hairs never attempted to bite or nothing.. So it was pretty chill to..

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
I'm a little jealous actually, because right now I can't by anymore T's. Very frustrating:wall:. However, I am compliling a wishlist for when I can.

Haha hey the wishlist can actually be just as fun. Took me 3 weeks to decide on 1 Tarantula! But you may have more then me still. I'm gonna rest at 7. They are so fun and addicting.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Grats on the new critters...

Though I have to point out one thing...

Each tarantula has its own personality.. For example..

I have had 2 male LPs in my care.. Only one was defensive.. The other was super chill.. Never kicked hairs or anything..

I have a 7.5" female LP in my care now.. She is not defensive at all.. Maybe a little skittish.. Kicks hair a little.. But not very often..

I have had one male B. vagans in my care.. It was a little skittish.. Never kicked hairs never attempted to bite or nothing.. So it was pretty chill to..
Thanks. I guess that's the whole fun about getting slings, is wondering what personalities will come with them.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire

Lol I realized a while ago that my list of Ts I wouldn't want is shorter than the list of Ts I do want. And it gets shorter as the weeks go by :p

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Im very selective when i buy T's im only going for certain one's right now.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks. I guess that's the whole fun about getting slings, is wondering what personalities will come with them.
I enjoy raising them from slings - my wife kids me about my "maternal instincts" when it comes to baby spiders and how much I fuss over them. Personalities will change with age on many of your spiders - about the time you think you know the animal it will molt and change. I've got a Phormictopus cancerides that was a super aggressive feeder (crickets rarely bounced more then once on the substrate), but otherwise a mellow animal - until its last molt. It now flips almost upside down in defensive stances at the slightest disturbance - but will immediately forget that when the cricket hits the floor.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
I enjoy raising them from slings - my wife kids me about my "maternal instincts" when it comes to baby spiders and how much I fuss over them. Personalities will change with age on many of your spiders - about the time you think you know the animal it will molt and change. I've got a Phormictopus cancerides that was a super aggressive feeder (crickets rarely bounced more then once on the substrate), but otherwise a mellow animal - until its last molt. It now flips almost upside down in defensive stances at the slightest disturbance - but will immediately forget that when the cricket hits the floor.
Wow. I love reading about the babies. I wish people did more vids of their slings. I think they are very underrated. I may do a series of vids for mine.