Finally got my first spider!!

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

After reading several books, and talking to a lot of people, I decided to buy my first spider!! It's a sub-adult Grammostola Rosea. Probably male, but I dont care, it looks great!!

I know it has to get something to eat, since the shop where I bought it didnt have any 'fresh' crickets, I will get some tomorrow. I will also get some peat to put it in a somewhat larger container.

Check it out!

Ðennis

Attachments

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Congratulations, Dennis! And welcome to the club :)

Joy

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome!

All right!

Welcome to the club. I am sure that you will find as I have that the people here are great for answering questions and giving you advice on keeping your T happy and healthy.

My first T was a rosie. It is a very popular starter spider. Personalities vary but for the most part they are very gentle and calm.

-Charlie

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Hey Dennis

Enjoy your Rosie! Nice choice! I love rose hairs! VERY CUTE!!! Welcome to the boards! We will answer all the questions you have! Good Luck with yor T!

James

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
G rosea was my first tarantula too... They are hardy and slow moving. Mine was quite docile and timid when I first got her, but once she molted for me she turned into a little brown devil! Won't let me touch her for nothing!

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have mine for about 3 hours now, i think it has to rest from the 3 hour traveltime we made trough subzero temperatures ... train in, train out, train in ect.

It isnt very active yet, but it drank quite a lot water. I wil put him into his new container tomorrow, he doesnt really seem to like the little thingy he is in now because he doesnt have any place to hide...

I will keep you guys updated with pics :)

Ðennis

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats great Dennis,
My first T was also a rosea. She was a big girl when I got her, and lived for 7 yrs. with me and the family. I think she died of old age.
By getting a young spider, it could be with you for many, many years to come. Good luck with it.:)

Ernie

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a cute little Rosie :D congrats! Remember once you have one you have to have them all ;)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
Hi all,

After reading several books, and talking to a lot of people, I decided to buy my first spider!!
Hi Dennis,
Welcome to the addiction.

Steve

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Re: Finally got my first spider!!

Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi Dennis,
Welcome to the addiction.

Steve
Shhh! You aren't supposed to tell him tarantula-keeping is addictive until he's hooked ;)

Joy

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Finally got my first spider!!

Originally posted by Joy
Shhh! You aren't supposed to tell him tarantula-keeping is addictive until he's hooked ;)

Joy
LOL. It's cool, he bought a rosie and four hours have passed, he'll be hooked by now ;)

Steve

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
LOL! Congrats on your first (one of many I'm sure!) tarantula purchases! You can't go wrong with a good ole rosie, that's for sure!

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For now it just sits on the seiling watching drowning crickets .... nothing wrong with him I'd say :)

But I think he has to get something to eat, and find his burrow...

Ðennis

ps. My next one is will be a G. Pulchra, they are just a little hard to find

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You can't get a G. Pulchra! I want one first!

Heh.

But don't be suprised if your rosie doesn't make a burrow, or use one if there already is one in there. (Although you should avoid digging one yourself unless you use PVC pipes or rain gutters -- or some other sort of tube.)

Rosies seem to sit around a lot and tend to be perfectly happy ignoring any sorts of hides you give them. Atleast that's how all of the ones I've gotten are.

Heck, my curly hair won't even touch it's flower pot. It sits next to it instead of IN it.