Finally got me a T.apophysis :o(

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
And it arrived frozen. It's legs were all stuck in the air, pointing the opposite way they're supposed to, but it was still alive, twitching and trying to move. I put it in ICU but it died about 3 hours later. I am so sad... it looked like a really cute little fella too. And i'd been after one of these for quite some time. Just wanted to voice my pain. Sigh...

MalevolentScorp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its funny, I just bought a male t.apophysis, and it arrived D.O.A... from a poor packaging job and possibly the cold. It sucks.

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The frustrating thing about my situation is that it was very well packaged, and came with a heat pad... problem was, inbetween the spider and the head pad was a load of polystyrene which prevented any heat reaching the spider... So the area around the heat pad was lovely and warm... and the spider vial was freezing cold.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is pretty typical from what I have seen for there to be a barrier between the heatpack and the spider. I have had egg cartons, newspaper, styrofoam, etc. placed between the spider and the heat pack.. Direct contact is usually too warm I gather... Every shipment with a heat pack has had something buffering it...

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am not suggesting nothing between spider and heat source, but to use a substance that is super efficient at preventing any heat reaching the spider... makes no sense whatsoever. Why use a heat pad at all? So the sender can go, "hey, i did my job, i gave it a heat pad". Well, kinda, but not really...

Some crumpled newspaper would dissipate the heat whilst allowing at least a little heat transfer, enough to say, oh I don't know, keep the poor spider alive long enough to reach its destination? That's how I send spiders out and I have never lost one. I have however received two recently that arrived frozen and died soon after. It's not even about the money (even though those two spiders cost me $170.00) for me it's about a tragic and unnecessary waste of life.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sorry bout that, i lost a lot of rare lings in one of my shipments,like 10 of them. they were replaced but some werent due to rarity..