Filling water dish

TRection

Arachnoknight
What do you use to fill up the water dish? just normal cup or something different? I was thinking of getting one of those 100ML syringes with the rubber tubes so i can just feed the tube through the wholes in the tank lid to fill the water without disturbing the T (my lid has a locking mechanism on it thats super loud when opening or closing it)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What do you use to fill up the water dish? just normal cup or something different?
It depends on the tarantula and the size of the dish. I sometimes fill small dishes with a little dropper I have with a tip that can be inserted through the vent holes.

Larger dishes I fill from either a water bottle or a small cup to reduce spills.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
IMG_1628.JPG
Here's what I use. I've had big Ts feel the vibration of trickling water and launch into a feeding response toward it. Nice to know I have at least a foot between my hand and my P. vittata's fangs:astonished:

These pump sprayers are nice if you have lots of animals to water.

I know what you mean about loud locking mechanisms. I used to worry about that too. But it almost seems like certain Ts get conditioned to it over time. I've had some freak out from the slightest tap early on, and the same ones couldn't care less now.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I usually use a syringe or a measuring cup. The latter is only for enclosures that need to be kept damp.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I either take the dish out and fill from the tap or if they're not bothered/need humidity I overflow their dish with a water sprayer bottle.

TRection

Arachnoknight
View attachment 238674
Here's what I use. I've had big Ts feel the vibration of trickling water and launch into a feeding response toward it. Nice to know I have at least a foot between my hand and my P. vittata's fangs:astonished:

These pump sprayers are nice if you have lots of animals to water.

I know what you mean about loud locking mechanisms. I used to worry about that too. But it almost seems like certain Ts get conditioned to it over time. I've had some freak out from the slightest tap early on, and the same ones couldn't care less now.
Your pump sprayer is way better than mine haha. I have one i use for my snake and lizard for watering and misting but it doesnt have a hose like ours which would make it much more useful. :) I'll probably go ahead and pick up the a turkey baster as others have mentioned, Thanks for the help

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I usually just pour from the water bottle. I feed first, so they are occupied and then do bowl refills/maintenance while lid of removed.
The exception is my GBB -- I have to use tongs to cut a hole through her thick webbing for refilling her webbed-over dish; and it is easier to just use a huge syringe to fill hers (usually through lid slats on top) since she is my curious T -- she will drop her prey to rush over and see what I am doing. Just easier with her to use a syringe and lessen risk of escape (lid off with my GBB = freedom).

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
I use a narrow stemmed watering can filled with distilled water. Gives you a little better control with the pour.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I poked a hole in the lid of a water bottle and just squirt that sucker into the water dish. But I'm one of them hicks from the hills.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I use a pipette for the smaller ones, I drill a hole above where I put the water dish in my arboreal enclosures so I can refill the dish without opening the enclosure, it also fits through the vents on the smaller Exo Terra faunariums so I don't have to open those up to do refills either.
I just pour water from a bottle for the larger dishes.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Depends on the T species and type. I generally will just us a water bottle or a long plastic pipette if I want to make sure to keep some distance. You can get the pipettes on Amazon for just a few bucks.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
I just use those syringes that you get from the Kid's cold medicine. Though you may want to clean it first before using it, or buying one at a store, I think here in Cal Ranch has those types of syringes, and it works pretty well. Though My A. Chalcodes doesn't care much for me So sometimes I can just get some tweezers and pull it out, or just pull it out anyways. If I had a more defensive T, or aggressive T I would probably just use the syringe. Just IMO though, couldn't find a turkey baster so I used a syringe since we have tons of them lying around. So to each their own.