Filling water bowl with tank substrate

dmattenski

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have a beautiful 4yo Brachypelma emilia. She continually fills her water bowl with substrate (coconut fiber) a day or two after I refill it. I've seen her hover over it, drop food debris in it, so she is clearly comfortable with it, and it has been in her tank for years. But why does she keep filling it with substrate? Thanks.
IMG_6922.jpg

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
After trawling through the many posts similar to yours RE water bowls being filled I can conclude that either:

- Your T HATES you/its enclosure/its life in general...

- Or more likely, it's just 'normal' behaviour and nothing to worry about.

It's cute if you ask me.
Hope that helps?

Mine do it too, alot. Welcome to the club!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
When a tarantula sees a clean water bowl, the first thing it comes to it’s mind is NOT drinking, but filling it up with something else, putting it upside down, bringing something in it, webbing it up, and it does all these very PURPOSELY.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
It's simple really. Tarantulas don't like standing water in their immediate surroundings. They can't make the connection that the water bowl is their source of drinking water. To them, it's an obstruction that needs to be dealt with.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
It’s normal. I use water bottle caps for my slings and juveniles so I can just toss them and put a new one in when they do that. Nothing to worry about.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It's simple really. Tarantulas don't like standing water in their immediate surroundings. They can't make the connection that the water bowl is their source of drinking water. To them, it's an obstruction that needs to be dealt with.
Is that what the spider said?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
It makes sense but what about filling them with waste or burrowing under them? Handy trash can and seeking moisture? That's too easy. Lol
A tarantula's interaction with their water bowl basically stems from how they utilize their enclosure. In most cases, at least sometimes in my own collection and from pictures of other people's setups, the tarantula is using the entire space of the enclosure as its territory because they are unable to carve out a small space for themselves. In such a situation, the tarantula wants the whole space to be free from debris and standing water. That is why they fill it with dirt, or toss it around the enclosure. When they dig underneath a water bowl, they are interpreting it as the only suitable object to base a burrow on. Burrowing tarantulas like to dig underneath objects for the added structure and as a way to hide the entrance. The best way to prevent a burrowing tarantula from dirtying up its water bowl is to provide it the means to dig underneath an object in the enclosure and wait for it to finish its renovations before adding the water. I provided a description on how I accomplish that in the Terrariums forum in a thread called "The Aphonopelma Tank."

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi, I have a beautiful 4yo Brachypelma emilia. She continually fills her water bowl with substrate (coconut fiber) a day or two after I refill it. I've seen her hover over it, drop food debris in it, so she is clearly comfortable with it, and it has been in her tank for years. But why does she keep filling it with substrate? Thanks.
View attachment 393871
No one knows- we all have ideas, but that’s it.

Last edited:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Why would they fill it with poop and boluses? Do they want festering slime? Do they think the water will wash it away?
If they don't like standing water, why leave it and choose to burrow underneath a pool of standing water? Do they not make the conection between the bowl and water? I don't know, man. I need solid answers... 😆

Kitara

Arachnodemon
My G. pulcha is on his fourth at this point. I started to get lazy and just added another as he fills them up. :shifty:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Why would they fill it with poop and boluses? Do they want festering slime? Do they think the water will wash it away?
If they don't like standing water, why leave it and choose to burrow underneath a pool of standing water? Do they not make the conection between the bowl and water? I don't know, man. I need solid answers... 😆
If you need solid answers, then you should probably put the work in to come up with your own interpretation of the behavior.

If your own tarantulas use their water dish as a garbage dump, move it around the enclosure. Does it actively seek out the water to put garbage in or does the water dish just happen to be in the way?
What happens when you put an empty water dish in the enclosure? Does the tarantula fill it up with dirt or only when there is water in it?
If your tarantula digs underneath the water dish, bury it into the substrate to where the top is level with the substrate. Does it bury underneath it then?
Make changes in combination. Move the water dish around the enclosure, bury it, don't bury it, use shallower water dishes, use taller dishes, etc. What does the tarantula do when different factors change?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If you need solid answers, then you should probably put the work in to come up with your own interpretation of the behavior.
You realize I'm messing with you, right?
Your answers are perfectly reasonable and probably accurate. I just like having fun.
We can guess why they do what they do and get pretty close but that's closer to speculation than direct knowledge of causation. Maybe we're right. I don't need to know if it's just a harmless curiosity.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
You realize I'm messing with you, right?
Your answers are perfectly reasonable and probably accurate. I just like having fun.
We can guess why they do what they do and get pretty close but that's closer to speculation than direct knowledge of causation. Maybe we're right. I don't need to know if it's just a harmless curiosity.
I have found that having the dish close to the sides of the enclosure it not really gets filled, as in construction worker, it's when the T travels around the perimeter of it's boundary it climbs over the dish, as it's in the way, in doing so collects water from the dish. Next time around it has damp substrate to deposit in the dish and also collect more water, and so on and so on. After many circuits around the tank the dish is full. When we look in in the morning, moisture has evaporated from the dish leaving a nice dish full of dry substrate. Tipping over the dish is probably just simply the dish being moved and knocked over during nightime manoeuvres. I found that having the dishes away from the edges, even close to the hide entrance, they tend to be left alone.