Figures

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Four mouths ago I bought a P. regalis from a reptile show. How cool I thought my first pokie! At first I had her in a petpal, but she always ran out of it when I would take the lid off. After three weeks of playing chase the pokie I spent a good four hours modifing a ten gallon tank for her. To make it escape proof I bought a lid that had a sliding portion and siliconed the lid on. I then set it up real nice, the wole nine yards. It has cork bark, silk plants, sticks for food items to climb on. Well three nights later I put her in her new home I had made and went to bed. The next morning I get up to find that during the night a stick has fallen and that my pokie was gone. I was in horror, how in the world would I find "lightning bolt"? Well at closer inspection I find that she is not loose (thank God) and has made herself a nice little home at the base of the branch that had fallen. Well a few mouths later I am forced to be content with only seeing my pokie seldomly.:( What I'm getting at is how funny things turn out when you expect something. I just knew she would be the best display tarantula, and of corse it's not so. Guess thats what I get for thinking.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They do hide a lot, but you can set them up so you can see them when you want to. In my P. regalis cages (I have 6) I use two pieces of cork bark leaned against the corner as a shelter. I arrange the cork so that the smooth, concave sides face each other, creating a space in between. This is where the spiders usually hide. If I want to see one, I simply pick up the top piece. Most of the time, the spider doesn't move, but if it does, it usually opts to run to somwhere else in the cage. They will also often cling to the side of the cage, between the bark and the wall, making them easy to see (from the bottom). Snugness seems to be more important than darkness, by leaning flat pieces of bark against the side, you may be able to create a space that satisfies the spider's security needs but allows for viewing.

I think the key is to give them time to become established in the new set-up. Once they're firmly ensconced, they are not very prone to making a dash for freedom. If anything, they seem to hate stepping on unfamilliar ground!

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I agree that snugness is more important than darkness. Tamara has provided a couple hides up against the side of the enclosures and her large female P.regalis seems happy to use them.

Cheers,
Dave

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
this is good information...
I just ordered a P regalis sling, and a P fasciata sling...
I don't have experience with pokies, and want to do the best set up possible..the only thing I *know* for sure...they are great escape artists!
I've given up ever finding my 3"+ P regalis that escaped some months ago :(

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
When you least expect it, you'll wake up to find it chewing on your head. ;)

Scott

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep mine in a round kitter keeper and they are pretty happy my P Fasciata never hide but she likes to due laps inside. My P.Regalis on the other hand has built a nice little retreat up beside the wall and I can look in any time I like. I sorry I should say that they are my wifes. She was the one that wanted them.:D ;) :)

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good idea's Wade and Skinhead Dave! If I want to see "lighting bolt" real bad all I have to do is move her stick. Then she bolts out and makes like 8 laps around her tank before going into hidding again. Or I can trough in some crickets and she will come out to kill. Getting back on trac I think I may try that cork bark thing with my next pokie! :) thanks for the advice.

U

Unregistered

I have a 7" legspan female regalis in a tall reptile style terrarium with a sliding screened lid. I put in a 12" long and about 1.5" inner diameter cork bark tube, I never see the regalis anymore except if I sneak in before the lights come on in the morning or at night when the lights have been off for a few hours. I have never seen a defensive display from her either.
Ed