Field Fishing

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I caught some interesting fish today while netting aquatic invertebrates in a flooded field. A few weeks ago the Missouri River overflowed and many of the fields are dry now, but there are a couple areas that still have water. These fish were caught in a pool about 30 feet long by 20 feet wide with a max depth of about 1.5 feet. I collected them by dragging a net (3/32" mesh) as I walked through the water.
As I was trying to take pics, I was constantly being bitten by flies and mosquitos, so I may have shaken the camera a little. I will try to get some clearer pics later.

I know this is sturgeon of some kind. I believe the only choices we have in Kansas are Shovelnose, Lake, and Pallid Sturgeon. This fish is about 1.5-2 inches long.

This next fish I believe is a longnose gar. It is about 1.25 inches long.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The 1st looks like a tiny paddlefish, but it could be one of the others you said.

Thats amazing they were caught in a field, is there any large body of water that wont dry out for you to release them in?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome looking fish. The first one looks like it's from outerspace lol.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: wow very cool fish. yeah, the first 1 kinda looks like a paddle fish. hmm very interesting.

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The first 4 pics are the same fish. I thought paddlefish at first too, but Im pretty sure paddlefish nose spoons out at the end.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's pretty hard to tell because thats obviously a very young fish, both are very young fish I dont think large fish could survive in pools that small.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man that first fish is awesome! I seine in the same conditions you did. But it's the Navasota River flood plain. I don't know about that gar. I catch longnose babies. The "nose" looks a little short for a longnose from looking at the pics, hmm, hard to tell. Small longnose I catch are a lot more colorful too. You think it might be a baby Alligator gar? There's a Shortnose too but I don't know all the fish ranges. I really like that first fish. Baby gar kind of cool but not a whole lot I could keep with them and they tend to just sit still near the surface. So unless I was feeding them, there wasn't much to see.

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You think it might be a baby Alligator gar?
Shortnose and Longnose gar have been caught in this area before. I suppose it could go either way. I personally have only caught longnose so I assumed thats what it was. Alligator gar would be quite a record for kansas city.

As for the other fish, Im open to the possibility of Paddlefish. I know young fish may look different from the adults. I will have to get a better side view and see if it has the whiskers of sturgeon or the giant mouth of paddlefish.

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definitely Paddlefish- They all died pretty quickly- when I preserved them in alcohol, their mouths opened and it was quite obviously paddlefish. I also believe it is a shortnose gar, and heres another baby fish I scooped- a goldeye.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very cool! I been catching plenty of goldeye on a fishing rod in Alberta here.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Definitely Paddlefish

Yay 1 point for me! lol I surprised myself getting it right.

Too bad they died though I would have moved them to a permanent body of water where the adult fish live.

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is a large body of water from whence they originated- the missouri river, but there is no way to access it nearby without a long walk through the mud

Many more will die- most will be eaten by birds.

There are 2 larger pools nearby- large enough to hold water for the rest of the year maybe, if we keep getting rain. I will be curious to see how big they get. Also, that momma fish has to be around here somewhere. Of course there are a lot of people who fish these pools, but the numbers seem to be dwindling. I guess they think they caught all the fish already. But then Im sure they arent expecting to see a paddlefish.