Few question about my emp

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
Hi, I recently purchased a decent size emp from a reptile store because I have a huge animal project for my biology class. I plan on keeping him after my project and I just wanted to know if I'm doing things right.

My thermometer reads 80 F during the day time and thats with out heat pads or heat lamps. I purchased a heat pad and I just started using it, but it says its going to take about 6 hours for it to fully work. Should I use a heat pad since the temperature seems to be fine?

Also, my scorpion hasn't been moving lately hes been in the same spot most of the day. but I hear him trying to climb the glass late at night, which gives me some signs of hope.
I remember when I first got him he would hide under this plastic rock-like thing I bought. Ever since i re-aranged his stuff it seems like I've ticked him off or something. Do they get mad when you move there stuff around? because I plan on buying him better hiding places and a bigger dish.

Can someone tell me if im doing this stuff right??
thanks,

Gabe

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
what substrate are you using? and what is the humidity? if the temp will go up only like 5 degrees with the pad then use it...i would take it back and get a lamp though...

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If your comfortable with your temp then don't bother with the heat pad. When an emp gets all nice and comfortable they won't move much. remember they're nocturnal so they will go exploring at night. Make sure your humidity is right and that it has enough substrate to burrow. Of course then you'll see it less but you'll know he's happy.

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
Im using coconut husks. thats what it says on the bag. it says its used for scorpions and other arachnids and reptiles.

im not sure about the humidity becuase i need to buy a humidity gauge

would a heat lamp really make a difference? i mean, its pretty hot in my house already

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah i redid my emps home about a month ago and the only time i see them is when they are sticking their chela out of their burrows...and thats it

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well like abyss said...it should be alright, people say they do best at like 85..so its up to you. and coco fiber is good

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
what about its food? where do you keep your crickets in and what do u feed them?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
put crickets in their cage once or twice a week...if they are still their the next day take them out..

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I usually put some moss stuff in the tank where the scorps don't ever go and dump a lot of crix around that area. They'll live of the moss and won't cause any stress. Usually in a week they'll all be eaten. Or if not keep them in a seperate tank with egg cartons for hides and you can buy some crix food or just give them some carrots or something. Use a sponge for water because they drown in any little puddle. Or you can buy crix thirst quenchers. Also make sure your substrate is moist to the touch not soggy or dry. If you need any more info or have any questions PM me. Heres a helpfull link http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=11336

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
80 degrees is fine, but they may be more active at around 85. I drop a cricket in one a week, one per scorpion. I recommend keeping your supply of scorps in their own container, a kritter keeper works well with cardboard, food and water(i use a gutload cricket food/water food combo..there little green cubes). Otherwise eventually you will get tons of tiny pinheads running around in your emps tank, which are very hard to track in a big enclosure and could die off and cause pest problems if there not found and removed. If you want your crickets to breed keep them in a seperate setup..otherwise they will be breeding and giving birth in your emp tank.

Not seeing them during the day is normal, and hearing/seeing them at night is also normal, nothing to worry about. Also, i use red heat bulbs to keep temps and humidity high, with a false bottom so misting isnt needed as often. Re-arranging their habitit constantly will probably cause stress, but if you do it every once in a while or when you buy something new its no big deal.

Last edited: