few macro pics

Luis138

Arachnopeon
Awesome pictures. Thank you for sharing. What camera are you using?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I trust by the vignetting that you are using a reversed lense?

Cheers,
Dave

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for compliments. It's Nikon D80 with 18 - 135 mm lenses and as Dave noticed - also macro adapter from Raynox. Can't afford macro lenses at the moment, but this adapter works well too. :)

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's KIT lenses: 18 - 135 mm (fotos are made with maximum focal lenght - 135) and this adapter: http://ecamerafilms.stores.yahoo.net/raydcr250brs.html
However, if you'll find some funds I sugest you to buy some expensive stuff like sigma (like SIGMA 70/2.8 EX DG MACRO) lenses insead of adapter. Mounting should fit as D70 is just a bit older version with same or nearly same preferances.

ideas1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Ive had the D70 for a while, but never taken the time to actually learn to photograph macro shots. Its a whole different story.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool scorps! And you have some nice pics there :)

I just today got the macro lens I ordered from beachcamera.com ( great site, highly recommended ). It's the 35 mm ( 70 mm effective ) macro lens from Olympus, for my E-500. Can't wait to try it out!! Hopefully I'll be posting some pics soon.:D

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for compliments. It's Nikon D80 with 18 - 135 mm lenses and as Dave noticed - also macro adapter from Raynox. Can't afford macro lenses at the moment, but this adapter works well too. :)

Interesting shots. Looks like they have been taken through a coke bottle. The cheapest way to take good closeups and maintain image quality is to use a closeup extension tube. This is a tube that fits between the lens and the body, effectively pushing the rear lens element farther away from the sensor (film plane). The tube has no glass and so has no effect on quality, although you will lose a couple of f-stops depending on the length of the tube.

Closeup adapters that screw onto the outside of the lens rarely do a good job as they are glass and so quality is lost and distortion can take place as seen.

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Murziukas, :) Awesome pics! What kind of camera do you use?

thanks,

Fred

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes Mark, but rings are like 3 times more expensive and in that case it makes more sence to buy macro lenses.
However, results in daylight gives some better results:

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes Mark, but rings are like 3 times more expensive and in that case it makes more sence to buy macro lenses.
Very true..new and in a set they are quite pricey. I purchased a single used Nikon ring off ebay for about AUD$30. Try to find S/H ones, picked up for a song. I think your images are very good, quite sharp, but some have distinct barrel distortion - others seem quite good...might be the chosen aperture causing that.

I took the below shot recently using my Nikkor 300mm f4 with the S/H macro ring. No distortion or loss of image quality. This is minimum focus distance and full frame for this lens.

I think someone already mentioned...another cheap alternative is to use a reversing ring on a wide angle lens.

Nikon D50, Nikkor 300mm with extension ring. 1/1000, 1600 ISO f4 hand held, ambient light.

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful picture Mark :) How did you get it sharp with that big focal length while holding in hands?
however I still believe that it's worth buying lenses instead of rings. D50 with Nikkor 60 mm macro:

There are some cheaper alternatives form Sigma.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful picture Mark :) How did you get it sharp with that big focal length while holding in hands?
however I still believe that it's worth buying lenses instead of rings. D50 with Nikkor 60 mm macro:
There are some cheaper alternatives form Sigma.
High shutter speed keeps it sharp, the 300mm Nikkor f4 is a good lens for macro, believe it or not. Diopters can be okay, but in my experience they tend to lose a little sharpness. You've got some good shots there. Love the well defined carinae on this species.

Do you think the diopter has much effect on depth of field?

I have a Kiron 105mm micro 1:1 lens I mainly use for closeup, the 300mm is really only for things like dragonflies etc that are difficult to approach.

This shot with an older manual 300mm Nikkor f4.5

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say that's the main problem of diopter - field of depth...

Mark Newton said:
Do you think the diopter has much effect on depth of field?