Females drumming?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know females will drum in response to a male, yes?

But has anyone had a female just start drumming out of the blue?

I think mine is... or she's a dude. Not sure!

Cbarr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have AF's of different species that will drum when i run the vacuum. oh and to answer ur question i have had females just start drumming for no reason (That i can see)especially at night.

c

Vibrations of any sort could possibly cause them to drum, adding water etc.

mikebannon

Arachnopeon
my avic avic just randommly started tapping when i was doing maintnence on my other pets.:)I am almost certain it is female

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know females will drum in response to a male, yes?

But has anyone had a female just start drumming out of the blue?

I think mine is... or she's a dude. Not sure!
I have one ornata that was so in the mood when I went to try pair her with my big boy, that she wanted nothing to do with the boy, she tried to lift herself up because she liked my paint brush better! I think vibrations have a LOT to do with it!

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
My female G. pulchripes, started drumming once, when I was doing some maintenance. I have only seen her do it the one time though.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh good, so I'm not nuts.

But in the videos of drumming I've seen, the males' drumming is faster and higher pitched, if that makes sense; and the females' is lower and slower. Like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHvJGPcNlVw

The drumming I heard sounded more like the male - is this video just a special case, or is the difference in drumming types so obvious in all species?

EDIT: She's an OBT, and she's NEVER to be seen. But the last couple days, she just chills out hanging' on the wall of her enclosure. She has no visible boxing gloves or hooks, so I still think she's female. Am I just overthinking this?

Clement

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my p.lugardi and a.avic females drums from time to time when i'm making somenoise close to there enclosures

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh good, so I'm not nuts.

But in the videos of drumming I've seen, the males' drumming is faster and higher pitched, if that makes sense; and the females' is lower and slower. Like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHvJGPcNlVw

The drumming I heard sounded more like the male - is this video just a special case, or is the difference in drumming types so obvious in all species?

EDIT: She's an OBT, and she's NEVER to be seen. But the last couple days, she just chills out hanging' on the wall of her enclosure. She has no visible boxing gloves or hooks, so I still think she's female. Am I just overthinking this?
Think she's trying to tell you something. ;)

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a female OBT as well that will occassionally just start drumming. She's 100% female too. It's real annoying when she does it when I'm trying to sleep. {D

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a female OBT as well that will occassionally just start drumming. She's 100% female too. It's real annoying when she does it
when I'm trying to sleep. {D
{D

I can't even be sure that it's her, either, since whenever I shine a light that way to see, she's not moving. But she's on a shelf next to a really old MM G. rosea that doesn't do anything, and below her is a female H. lividum that was burrowed so deep there wasn't solid wall for her to drum on... so I think it's her (the OBT) drumming.

Perhaps it's time to make some angry, orange babies.