Female sexual maturity?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Of all my specimens, the one thing I can never figure out is when a spider is sexually mature.

My P. regalis moulted today and she looks to be about 4.5" now. Not that that's accurate or something, but I can't really tell if she's mature.

How can you tell when a female tarantula is mature?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Size does play a factor..... but breeders are finding out that smaller females will produce offspring, but the hard part is getting them to breed. mainly because the male will be bigger then the female. Plus the male if he gets defensive or fed up he might eat the female. This rarely happens but its more of a risk with a smalller female. 4.5 is the very smallest I would try to breed any species. and even then you have to watch carefully. I have tried 4" Ts and thats just aquard all together. But it can be done.

The clutches of eggs are smaller ofcourse but hey its more T's.
If you come across a male now take a shot....... but waiting one more molt would not hurt anything and might be more sucessful for you.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm - yeah - I've been wondering about that - my genic just moulted into a new 8" that is without doubt, adult. Should I be looking for love action on her behalf too ?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually, she came out of her burrow and is measuring a solid five inches.

I think she's mature :)

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@cerbera-i would if i were you.she should b ready for sure