Female Queen or King baboon?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Well the "official" common name for the species is King baboon, but since the females are bigger and definitely dominate the males Queen baboon would make more sense. I will leave the comments on scientific names to others, I'm pretty sure a lot of people on these boards would be happier if common names didn't exist. But if you start referring to cats and dogs as Felis catus and Canis lupus familiaris - you've taken it too far :p.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I when I talk to folks who come over and ask about my Ts I give them the scientific name and some of the more popular common names. I also have my enclosures labeled so they can see what each name looks like with each spider and see where some of the common names come from. I also have some Tarantula field guides and the Tarantula Keepers book usually sitting with the Ts that I encourage them to pick up and read about the 5 species I have and more. I have some new shelving coming in tomorrow for the spiders so everybody is on the dining room table at the moment. I don't think the Ts care, but my cats are pissed their night time napping area is off limits for a night. They could not knock my enclosures over if they tried, especially my terrestrial enclosures. They each have 11 inches of substrate in them. And my C lividus has moist sub so her enclosure is extra heavy. All my tops are locked with little brass Master Locks. Only T not on the table is my B. hamorii sling, she spending the night in with the fine china. Lucky little lady.
I don't have to worry about that at least - People aren't allowed in my house. So it is only out and about that it somehow randomly comes up.

Well the "official" common name for the species is King baboon, but since the females are bigger and definitely dominate the males Queen baboon would make more sense. I will leave the comments on scientific names to others, I'm pretty sure a lot of people on these boards would be happier if common names didn't exist. But if you start referring to cats and dogs as Felis catus and Canis lupus familiaris - you've taken it too far :p.
You mean Felis grossus and Canis lupus bestus :p

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
:vamp::vamp::vamp:

(I am apparently a purple vampire when fighting :rofl:)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
What would you call a female even though the species is a King Baboon? Wouldn't it be better to call her a Queen Baboon?
I agree with what your saying but there still the biggest baboon in captivity and no sign of bigger ones coming to hobby.
But yeah female is the king or queen whatever you say. Same is true of most species but Kb makes are unusually small.:chicken:
Maybe change it’s common name to queen of baboons? Or add that one to it’s list haha.
King just sounds cooler see !

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I thought it was common knowledge that any 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) must be referred to as a Goddess and that any other designations are heretical.

@Chris LXXIX, you're slacking bruh :troll: