feline diabetes

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If there's anyone who owns a cat with diabetes mellitus, I strongly urge you to visit www.yourdiabeticcat.com and read the protocol. It is actually possible for a cat with diabetes to go into remission with tight regulation!

Basically, dry cat food is the devil. If you've ever taken the time to read the ingredients on a label, you'll find things like wheat flour and ground corn and some fruits and veggies. When was the last time you saw a wild feline eating ANYTHING that wasn't still warm? Housecats eat grass to make themselves throw up! The insanely high amount of carbohydrates in dry food, over a long period of time, actually CAUSES diabetes. Generally, the crappiest, cheapest wet food is better than the most expensive special diet dry food.

Also, most vets are highly uninformed about feline diabetes. My own (former:wall: ) vet is an example. Cats are usually prescribed a kind of human insulin that is way too harsh and fast-acting for a cat's system.

Anyway, if you have a cat who has been diagnosed with diabetes, READ this page! I'd be happy to answer as many questions as I can here.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I feed my cats wet and dry food, 2 cans of wet a day. I also encourage them to eat grass, they hardly ever throw up after eating it so it's not bad as a treat. I heard canned pumpkin is also good for them.

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hm, I've never heard about canned pumpkin. I can't imagine why it would be good, though..

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Prevents/eliminates hairballs, aids in curing constipation. Especially if the cat swallowed a small foreign object and you want it to pass before trying surgery.

Some cats go crazy for canned pumpkin, ask your vet about it.

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pumpkin is a fruit, according to the new college edition of the american heritage dictionary. Of course, the same dictionary also says that peas are both fruits and vegetables...:confused: :wall: Whatever....either way, haha, fruits AND vegetables are not natural foods in a cat's diet.

Personally, I use store-bought hairball remedy. It's in a toothpaste tube-looking thing, and the dosage is about an inch long piece of it, and I give it to them every other day.

Oh, and also, cats who are on a 100% canned food (if not completely raw) diet are alot less likely to get constipation. They do have less frequent stools, but that's because their bodies have much less crap (haha!) to get rid of; their bodies actually USE what's in canned food.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, if I ever have either of those issues with my cats, I'll certainly give it a try! Of course, the diabetic cat can't have fruits or vegetables. Also, because there is a higher amount of fiber in canned food, cats are highly unlikely to have diarrhea or vomit (unless they have some kind of virus or something, of course).

I noticed one of those sites is hosted by purina. Did you know that purina is owned by Nestle? Interesting, huh?

Here are a couple links I hope you'll benefit from regarding this diet:
http://www.catnutrition.org/catkins.html
http://www.yourdiabeticcat.com/protocol.html

and, here are some notes taken from a lecture by Dr. Deborah Greco, DVM, PhD, the so-called mother of the feline low-carb diet/diabetic treatment.
http://www.felinediabetes.com/GrecoHighlights.htm

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
again, someone here is trying to mislead us by qouting unreliable/irresponsible source full of corp propaganda, and totaly not aware of it

if the one can offer a full length "research" of cats have no probem eating canned pumpkin, then we certainly can give him/her soe profit by supporting the food

it wouldn't be surprising that someone might have direct or indirect relationship with one of the big name corps.

recycle grease is the major part of kibbles, not to mention cement and rejected cattles and chickens from the market

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Randolph you of all people dont belong in this topic. I actually gave good, reliable info. Your not needed here.

Thanks for the links thisgal at least you listen to me and take the time to read the information i gave you. :)

Last edited:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I noticed one of those sites is hosted by purina. Did you know that purina is owned by Nestle? Interesting, huh?
u might want to explain this first

and everyone on this forum share the resources, not u determine who belongs where, majesty

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer

u might want to explain this first

OK

That's what you call Irony. If you dont know what it means look it up.

Nestle makes chocolate, purina makes cat and dog food.

Our pets food company is hosted by a chocolate company, it's not uncommon for that to happen with different food companies though whether its for people or animals.

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whoa, Sir Randolph, calm thyself. This is not information that's been pulled out of anyone's you-know-what.

This is interesting; I've been away from arachnoboards for a couple months now, and mainly conversing with people on the forums at www.yourdiabeticcat.com (including one or more licensed veterinarians, one of whom worked in the cat food industry for 11 years, and dozens of people who own both diabetic and healthy cats),and coming back here I realised that board has 110% of something this board seems to be lacking: respect. Of course, the members there are primarily middle aged adults; I am among the youngest at 21 years old.

Bugmankeith: I'm in the process of spreading the word about the natural diet of cats to people in my neighbourhood. If you're interested, here are a couple of links to articles written by vets specializing in internal medicine:
http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.html
http://www.catnutrition.org/catkins.html (I already posted this one, I believe)

and this one's great because it explains why and how to feed your cats for optimum health:
http://www.catnutrition.org/clienthandout.html

FYI: Nestle is one of the biggest companies in the world. They manufacture products including instant coffee, bottled water, baby formula, cat food, chocolate, malted drinks, culinary products, breakfast cereal, dairy products, pre-made frozen dinners, candy, and more, I'm sure.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thisgal, i'll also spread the information you gave to other cat owners.

I have tried MANY Nestle products all are good!

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for spreading the word; you don't know how hard it is! I even had to switch vets because my own absolutely refused to listen to any explantion I had!