Feeding

riley

Arachnopeon
I have a versicolor sling .5 inch. The smallest i've ever had. How
many crickets and how often should I feed it?

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, that is small.......

I think you gotta kill the crickets... I'm not sure how many times, like as much as they want I suppose. Any extra take it out. Experiment, I'll leave that question to the next person....

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok with my small slings I usually cut a mealworm into 3 pieces and feed them 1/3 of it at a time. I feed them this about once every 3 days and the apear to be doing fine. if you have pinhead crickets then maybe one a day should be good.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Neo
[B
I think you gotta kill the crickets... I'm not sure how many times, like as much as they want I suppose. [/B]
I don't think that killing them more than once would accomplish anything. However, I'm paranoid and usually whack mine at least four times. None have ever come back to life, so I consider myself a wicked successful cricket killer. ;)

Your Avic should attack a 3/8" cricket without hesitation if it's hungry, and it is pretty fun to watch small T's wrestle with their prey. But, for the sake of ease and economy I usually do what Neo does: I either kill the prey or remove a few legs. This allow you to use food items of a size that the T would ordinarily find intimidating (thus reducing the frequency at which you have to feed) and prevents food (in the case of roaches, especially) from burrowing into the substrate.

Steve

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you can get pinhead crickets, I would go with them. A sling at that size should have no probelm with them.
As for the amount, one a day will eventually fatten up your new arrival. If you throw in a cricket and the T dosen't eat it that day, pull it out and try again in a couple of days.

Nice new addition, the Avic's are great.

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
when I got my A versi it was 1/2 inch and totally ignored pinheads. It had no problem with 3/8 - 1/2 crickets.. they seem to be suprisingly big eaters. I never killed its crickets, or tore of the legs.. actually have never done that for a sling once it hits the 1/2 mark.