Feeding mice to G. rosea

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
Hi every one, I am new to the tarantula hobby, and I was wondering if it was alright to feed a small mouse to my Chilean rose tarantula? He's about maybe 3 and a half inches, a little close to 4 inches, he looks like he can take a small mouse, but if he ate it, how long can he go without eating? and does it cause molting problems? thanks!!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas do not need mice or any rodents in their diet.
Only in very specific cases (bulking them up, prior mating...) and only really large species (Theraphosa Genus,Lasiodora...).

Your Gramostola, at that size, will be PERFECTLY fine with 2 crickets a week.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Hi every one, I am new to the tarantula hobby, and I was wondering if it was alright to feed a small mouse to my Chilean rose tarantula? He's about maybe 3 and a half inches, a little close to 4 inches, he looks like he can take a small mouse, but if he ate it, how long can he go without eating? and does it cause molting problems? thanks!!
Feeding mice is just really not a good idea! why would you want to feed a mouse? old worlds do better with mice! stick to crickets and roaches!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Only in very specific cases (bulking them up, prior mating...) and only really large species (Theraphosa Genus,Lasiodora...).

What Fran said.

Even 2 crickets a week is a bit overkill, in my opinion. You could feed it two crickets a MONTH and it would be healthy.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is no need to feed a tarantula mice. If you MUST do it (for whatever reason), do not make it a habit. Mice, like all other vertebrates, have calcium in their bones, and the calcium is bad for tarantulas. Besides, crickets are cheaper. :)

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

NUFF said.

PIG-