Feeding Frozen Is a Pain

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
UPDATE: Tried the little "dance" as you guys said. She followed it alertly, and grabbed it straight out of the hemostats, I actually felt the power as it pulsed from the hemostat to my arm.
YES.jpg

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I'm glad you got her to eat. I would switch her over to rat pups as soon as you can. You'll want to feed small rats to her eventually and sometimes it's hard to get them off of mice when they've been eating them for awhile.

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I'm glad you got her to eat. I would switch her over to pups as soon as you can. You'll want to feed small rats to her eventually and sometimes it's hard to get them off of mice when they've been eating them for awhile.
why should I switch to rats??

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
why should I switch to rats??
I pefered feeding rats to my ball pythons when they got bigger. It's easier to put size on them that way. It's ok to feed them mice their whole life though if you want to. You'll just have to give them a few adult mice at a time instead of one appropriately sized rat when they're adults.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
This isn't really germane to the thread, but I found it of interest that my black rat snake accepted frozen 5 days after I obtained him. which I would not have found so interesting except that he was wild caught and had never seen a frozen/thawed pinkie before and it is doubtful that he ever had eaten something that was already dead. It was what made me decide to keep him rather than release him as I had planned.

That was three years ago, today of course he eats large adult mice.

The apparently often odd behaviour of ball pythons is why I never have had one. The are like the G. rosea of the reptile world, I've decided. Nothing wrong with either of the two, but I like keeping a critter to be a stress free as possible, for both parties involved.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Sounds like a fussy eater. Don't have much experience with ball pythons as they aren't available here, just try make the frozen thawed food look as alive as possible

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
We, she is my wife's but I handle the actual care for now, have a Mojave BP and she does alright on F/T. She is just really slow to actually begin eating after she has struck the rat. Glad yours finally ate though.
Check out Big Apple Herp for feeders. You can get some really good deals buying from them. I'm going to be buying again since my E. cenchria cenchria has outgrown the rat "fuzzies" but I still have about 40 left to feed the BP.