Feeding Burrowers

cweg

Arachnopeon
I am trying to get some feedback about feeding burrowers. I have an adult King Baboon female. She stays in the burrow 24-7. Her burrow is a chamber that she keeps completly sealed. There are no openings. If i put crickets in there they just die. The way I feed her is to poke a hole into her chamber and drop the crickets in. She eats them like this no prob. Does anyone else have a burrower that stays closed in? How do you feed?

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I don't use crickets as feeders for my burrowers, except for very small specimens (2" legspan or less). I usually use pinkie mice or superworms (the latter contained in dishes). Most burrowers stay webbed in by day but emerge from their burrows late at night IME, and if there's something that sounds interesting moving around (or even something inert like beef heart lying right on the threshold), they will usually take it. I wouldn't suggest opening the web and introducing crickets that way, as the spider may at some point have its burrow closed off because it's premolt, and a cricket may then injure or kill it.

Joy

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
I don't use crickets as feeders for my burrowers, except for very small specimens (2" legspan or less). I usually use pinkie mice or superworms (the latter contained in dishes). Most burrowers stay webbed in by day but emerge from their burrows late at night IME, and if there's something that sounds interesting moving around (or even something inert like beef heart lying right on the threshold), they will usually take it. I wouldn't suggest opening the web and introducing crickets that way, as the spider may at some point have its burrow closed off because it's premolt, and a cricket may then injure or kill it.

Joy
When you put them in a dish, do you bury dish in the substrate? I've noticed that super worms will climb out of anything that isn't sever inches deep.

N.