Feeding Avic Avic

Lyra

Arachnopeon
So my new Avic Avic seems pretty chill.

IV searched around. How am I best to feed? Will it just hunt at the bottom when it's hungry? I put a dubia in about a week ago, kept good track of it in there then it seemed to disappear. So I wonder if the spider caught it. Since IV dropped one or two headless mealworms in which always get left.

It has not laid much in the way of web yet just a bit at the top of its log.

I'll be fine when I get used to how it likes to eat.

Its pretty active after 8/9pm.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight

IV searched around. How am I best to feed? Will it just hunt at the bottom when it's hungry? I put a dubia in about a week ago, kept good track of it in there then it seemed to disappear. So I wonder if the spider caught it. Since IV dropped one or two headless mealworms in which always get left.

Pics of the spider and enclosure would help.

All of my arboreal have heavily webbed up the top portions of their enclosure. I'll usually place a feeder near the entrance of their funnel web.

If it's hungry, it will generally come out and get it. If it's a small sling, I will typically crush the head of the feeder. If it's a larger individual, i generally won't crush the head.

You can crush the head of a mealworm and leave in there overnight.

How big is the T? How long have you had it for ? Is the substrate dry and do you have a water dish?

Last edited:

Lyra

Arachnopeon
This photo was around a week ago. IV had it about 2 weeks. Its vented top and I have put loads of holes in down low all around. I wish I'd put a bit more up top clutter but feel nervous to try and add it now. Its cork bark is a tube. It seems to spend most of the daylight hours in its tube then comes out at night. There is a bit of webbing around the tube top.
Maybe I'll just try dropping another roach in tomorrow night.

Attachments

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Your avic is so leggy!

I find mine goes to the bottom to feed. I sometimes drop in a meal worm and later at night or next Morning I see her with it in her mouth.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
This photo was around a week ago. IV had it about 2 weeks. Its vented top and I have put loads of holes in down low all around. I wish I'd put a bit more up top clutter but feel nervous to try and add it now. Its cork bark is a tube. It seems to spend most of the daylight hours in its tube then comes out at night. There is a bit of webbing around the tube top.
Maybe I'll just try dropping another roach in tomorrow night.
As long as there is ample ventilation up top, and the substrate it dry, it should be fine. Just offer food at least once a week. As long as the abdomen isn't super small, it should be fine.
Make sure it has access to water. Interior of the enclosure looks fine from what I can see!

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
I put a dubia in about a week ago, kept good track of it in there then it seemed to disappear. So I wonder if the spider caught it.
dubia is hiding or burrowed. At least, that's what my money is on...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Ts are nocturnal.

Avics don’t always come down for food. They are “lazy” ambush predators IME. If you had a short setup relative to size of T then they will come down. The taller the less likely they are going to detect what is on bottom.

Lyra

Arachnopeon
As long as there is ample ventilation up top, and the substrate it dry, it should be fine. Just offer food at least once a week. As long as the abdomen isn't super small, it should be fine.
Make sure it has access to water. Interior of the enclosure looks fine from what I can see!
My sub was a little to damp when it first went in but IV given it a good airing since so should be fine now. Water dish is kept full. I'll try feeding again in a few days.

Lyra

Arachnopeon
dubia is hiding or burrowed. At least, that's what my money is on...
Could have. It was chilling under the leaves on the bark. I did notice one morning there had been alot of ground disturbance which made me wonder if the T had found it.

Lyra

Arachnopeon
Your avic is so leggy!

I find mine goes to the bottom to feed. I sometimes drop in a meal worm and later at night or next Morning I see her with it in her mouth.
I thought that, looking legs.

Mine may just not be hungry the the mo.

Lyra

Arachnopeon
Just thought I'd update. I manage to put a mealworm on the bit of web ontop of the bark. Which by morning had been taken. So it must have had that. I tried another but it was left. So maybe 1 chunky meal worm is enough a week. Going to try a roach next.