Feeding After Delivery

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
My P. Imperator just had babies, and I'm not sure if I should feed her before the babies leave her back? Or should I wait until I separate her from the young? Thanks!!

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
if that's a real P imperator, please let me now if you're selling any of the babies...

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
if that's a real P imperator, please let me now if you're selling any of the babies...
She was bought from a reputable seller, and was confirmed from a secondary source :) I'm in Canada though for shipping if I sell.. I just don't want her to eat those perfect little babies, I'm not sure when to offer her food, but I don't want my offer to stress her into eating the babies either

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
She was bought from a reputable seller, and was confirmed from a secondary source :) I'm in Canada though for shipping if I sell.. I just don't want her to eat those perfect little babies, I'm not sure when to offer her food, but I don't want my offer to stress her into eating the babies either
im in ontario too. :)
well, when my H petersii had babies, im pretty sure she didnt get much food till like a month or two after she had them, maybe one or two crickets. i finally found them and removed 14, i read they have up to 30 so im assuming mom got hungry. not much or a scorp guy though.. @darkness975

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Lol he helps me out a lot I wish I could return the favor lol but he knows it all.
I don't see a cricket causing any harm to her . If she's hungry she sure take it leave it for 20 - 30min or so. If nothing just remove it

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
Lol he helps me out a lot I wish I could return the favor lol but he knows it all.
I don't see a cricket causing any harm to her . If she's hungry she sure take it leave it for 20 - 30min or so. If nothing just remove it
I got so many different answers on the fb post from people I don't know, that I wasn't sure what to listen to lol. But good to know who's info I can trust now!! Thanks!! and thanks @Collin Clary !!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
FB people are mostly just trolls.. i only listen to the stuff on here.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Collin is the expert in here especially with Emperor / Heterometrus . Asian forest types

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
Collin is the expert in here especially with Emperor / Heterometrus . Asian forest types
Ok great! I'm lucky he saw my fb post and helped me! He already told me to offer food a few days after she finished giving birth :) it's good to have the reassurance of a reliable source of info, thank you!!!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol! I think @Collin Clary helped me on fb! I just didn't want to keep bugging with a ton of questions lol!
Not sure what food to offer her, like will a cricket stress her out? Or should I put like a meal worm in front of her?
Yes, that was me. :)

A cricket will be fine. You could use a mealworm or a roach as well. Really doesn't matter.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Personally I wouldn't feed her until the babies dismount from her back but people do both.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
I fed my Emperor mother new born pinkies, about one a week. She would actually feed her young, it was very interesting to watch. They have to be new born within a few days old. It beats any old cricket or meal worm for nutrients.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally I wouldn't feed her until the babies dismount from her back but people do both.
You can do that, but giving birth takes a lot out of the mother, and it's been my experience that sometimes if you don't offer food early enough she will eat some of her young.

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Never hurts to at least offer food. If she isn't interested, remove and wait a little longer.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You can do that, but giving birth takes a lot out of the mother, and it's been my experience that sometimes if you don't offer food early enough she will eat some of her young.
Never hurts to at least offer food. If she isn't interested, remove and wait a little longer.
Crushing the heads of prey items to neutralize the threat of fighting back can also help.