Feeding after a moult..?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My AF Citharischius crawshayi moulted about 6 weeks ago, and she still won't eat... I can see her in her burrow and she looks fine, but she won't eat....
Should i be worried? (silly question really coz i am anyway! lol)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As long as she looks ok and is not losing weight you have nothing to worry about, I have a B. Smithi that molted :? about hmmmm I think going on 5 months ago now, he's still refusing food, but I did catch him drinking once and he looks plenty plump so I am not worried.
How big is she now?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I believe shes WC, and was adult wen i bought her. She's about 8" i guess.
I don't ever see her out and about drinking or anything.. she just sits in the chamber of her burrow.
She did eat her exuvium tho.. i went away for a week with my bf and came bk 2 her just moulted and her huge white fangs digging into her moult lol She spat it out after a week and there wasn't much left.
I just worry coz normally she eats loads! But she's not eating anything.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh wow at that size 6 weeks is nothing, she should be fine, wait another week or so and then start trying to offer food every few days, remove it if she does not kill it in a few hours.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
OK thanks!

Last week 3 crix went into her burrow and didnt come out, and it looked like she was eating them... but now i can see them upside down dead in her burrow but not eaten lol
I did wonder for her size if this was normal, but thanks :D I'll leave her another week or so then offer something.

This is her when i first bought her. Bout 6 months ago

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A C.crawshayi not eating; Oh you should be WAY worried... just kidding. No, but really like Ryan said, at that size you can expect to wait a couple weeks more.

I love those back legs! :drool: I think you should get a picture of her new exo, of course when she comes out.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I will :D She never comes out though... But i'll do my best!
Her back legs r huge! lol

I'll try feed her next week n c how we go :D

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I will :D She never comes out though... But i'll do my best!
Her back legs r huge! lol

I'll try feed her next week n c how we go :D
Good cause I wanna see her! I really need to get me a C.crawshayi someday.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got her coz i'd wanted one for ages, but i also felt sorry for her when i saw her.. She was in a little tiny tub. So small that when she sat how they do, when their legs cover their eyes, her knees touched the lid :( She couldnt spread out so had 2 sit like that all the time.
When i picked her tub up, she tried 2 have a go at me, and coz she couldnt go up, she went sideways onto her side, got her fangs out, started hitting and striking the bottom of the cup. I just had to have her!

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I 'm sorry for your lost, she was a beatuiful spider

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
aww that sucks:( sorry for your loss,they are great spiders,yeah, after my adult females molted and within 2weeks they were all eating,so yours was very strange that it wasn't eating at all,but ya never know what's inside making them do that,again sorry for your loss,now ya gotta get another in time.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Becky, the loss of such an incredible T is horrible. i'm so sorry. i was reading this thread - really admired you gorgeous girl, thinking i REALLY hoped my sling/juvie... would be a female and wasn't even expecting such a sad and shocking post. Really, really sorry. At least she got out of her tiny tub when you got her and had the chance to enjoy her own burrow and chamber. She was really beautiful. Sorry for your loss. :(

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks jules... The chance of your juvie being female is quite high! Males are generally quite hard to come by. They're gorgeous spiders...

Yeah, i'm glad she died in a deep burrow kept at the right conditions. If she'd of stayed with that guy i bought her from she may not of survived, and if she'd of gone 2 moult she certainly wouldn't of got out of it in that tiny pot! Well... she's gone to spidey heaven now.

Thing is, i don't know how old she was. I believe she's WC and was mature when i bought her so she could of been ancient for all i know...

Still sucks tho :(

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss. Read from the beginning and now this sad ending:(

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dang Becky, I am truely sorry for your loss of such a beautiful spider! Do you have any idea why this could of happened?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks Novak.

I don't really know why she may have died, but i knew something wasn't right when she didn't eat for so long after her moult. 7 weeks without eating is not right imo...

I bought her from a guy in Enfield... who i didn't like, but i felt sorry for her (and the other 10 he had in there!) But at £80 a piece i couldn't afford them all lol In the end i haggled her down to £65.. she was kept horribly before i got her. So i got her home and gave her loooads of subby and let her loose. She burrowed right to the bottom and i never saw her out.
So i think she was WC.. so as she was mature when i bought her.. she could of been ancient for all i know...
Doesn't make it any easier though... At least she lived properly for 6 months b4 she died... :(