Feeding Advice for H. Lividum

Flintloch

Arachnopeon
Hi all

I rehoused my Cobalt Blue about two months ago, and shortly thereafter she webbed up her burrow and refused to come out at all. I dropped the odd cricket in and kept her water dish full, but she did not come out to eat or drink at all and I ended up removing the crickets and giving them to my Smithi.

Anyhow, about a week ago she finally re-opened the entrance to her burrow, and sat waiting like she normally does for prey to happen along. However, I was a little alarmed to notice her abdomen had shrunk significantly, which meant she needed to eat!

I've been dropping in a cricket every time she pops her head out for the past week, which sometimes means 2 - 3 crickets every 1 - 2 days, which is lots more than normal. My plan is to ensure she fattens up a bit before reducing her food to normal amounts. Am I on the right track?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
You'll only know if you can see the abdomen get bigger or if you find fresh chewed up bolusses. Do the crix dissapear forever?

Flintloch

Arachnopeon
You'll only know if you can see the abdomen get bigger or if you find fresh chewed up bolusses. Do the crix dissapear forever?
They do indeed. Her tank is quite small, and if you can't see the crix on the surface then they can only be in the burrow. I did witness her nail at least one of the crickets so she is definitely eating again. I'm just worried that I may be feeding her too quickly.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
They do indeed. Her tank is quite small, and if you can't see the crix on the surface then they can only be in the burrow. I did witness her nail at least one of the crickets so she is definitely eating again. I'm just worried that I may be feeding her too quickly.
Nah, don't worry about that. If she's out waiting and taking them there is no problem. Just don't overdo it in the long run.

Flintloch

Arachnopeon
Nah, don't worry about that. If she's out waiting and taking them there is no problem. Just don't overdo it in the long run.
Thanks. Will keep on keepin' on. :D

I know some tarantulas fast from time to time, but is there any reason my Lividum would have starved herself to the point where her abdomen shrunk? Is this normal?

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Thanks. Will keep on keepin' on. :D

I know some tarantulas fast from time to time, but is there any reason my Lividum would have starved herself to the point where her abdomen shrunk? Is this normal?
No way to tell about any reason other than possibly stress from rehousing, though that was quite some time ago wasn't it? Sure it didn't moult since the rehousing? Other than that I wouldn't know.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No way to tell about any reason other than possibly stress from rehousing, though that was quite some time ago wasn't it? Sure it didn't moult since the rehousing? Other than that I wouldn't know.
That's what I'm thinking, i don't know if you'll find a exuvium or so but if it sealed off it's burrow and refused food it sounds like it molted to me. I know a Ts abdomen does shrink after a molt, just a possibility.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
i don't know if you'll find a exuvium
To me that would seem as luck. All my lividums always crammed their old exos into a dead end or wall of the burrow. They never pulled them up.

Flintloch

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys.

Was wondering about a moult. Suppose it's possible, but since she hasn't really emerged fully from the burrow for me to get a good enough look, I'm not sure whether she's bigger. And I don't want to dig up the burrow just to see, so it will have to remain a mystery. :)