feeders. what do you like to use. anyone else prefer red runners (Blatta lateralis)

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
i would think the main reason they aren't a popular feeder to rear at home is because of the regular maintenance and the different life stages have different requirements. Also the need to grow/harvest leaves or make media/diet. Way too much work for most I would suspect.
Valid point, I can’t imagine bartering with Japanese dealers to reduce the price of the shipping of a large (3m/3m) mesh enclosure due to pandemic delays being something most T keepers will happily do just to mass rear some hornworms...

gride225

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For those who use red runners where are they ordering them from? I can find dubia online but no red runners.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I bought mine off of ebay but then they began dying off. Best places would probably be the classifieds section here, as there's always some people that are looking to get rid of some.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use tropical house crickets and mealworms. Tropical house crickets are so much better than the normal crickets they sell at pet stores. Tropical house crickets are also called banded crickets. I like mealworms because they can’t jump or run, which makes them very easy to feed to pets. They also can last for months if you put them in your refrigerator.
^ This. Tropical house crickets are great, some of my local pet stores changed to them a few years ago so I usually use them.

fried rice

Arachnoknight
^ This. Tropical house crickets are great, some of my local pet stores changed to them a few years ago so I usually use them.
I agree! There is a pet supplies plus near me and they sell them now. They are so much better. They are a great alternative for people who hate roaches. They don’t smell as bad as house crickets and they live longer.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I've tried all the common feeders - B.lats (red runners) are easily the best - IMO of course.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
It's only recently come to my attention that a lot of ppl have cricket issues. Crickets are my main go to and never really had smell issues or anything, for me they are easy to breed (until winter) and I can easily gutload them with a good quality tropical fish food, plus everything I keep loves crickets and I have all sizes, two weeks apart, from pinheads to xxl.
I have a colony of lobster roaches from a tub I bought 2 years ago, not one of my T's are interested in these things but my scorpions, gecko's and frog all seem to prefer them and they are prolific enough to keep themselves going in a fairly small tub.
I also occasionally buy mealworms or superworms for something different and they last me months.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I was wondering what everyone used for feeders I personally like the red runners they have really soft bodies and all my insectivores take them really well. easy to culture with little care too. drop a reply below with your favorite feeder(s) and why you use them im looking to maybe start another culture of feeders to add diversity to my inverts diets.
I keep colonies of both B.dubia and B.lateralis...I much prefer the B.lateralis roaches.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I keep colonies of both B.dubia and B.lateralis...I much prefer the B.lateralis roaches.
They come in a pretty convenient size for most small to medium insectivores. For larger insectivores I use orange heads which ime are much better feeders than dubias. They grow a bit larger, have a much higher meat-to-shell ratio, and the large nymphs are as chunky as, or even chunkier, than the adults. Only problem is they are burrowers, but you can crush their heads before feeding. They're also really good for composting too and prefer more protein than your average roach species, although they will eat any and everything with gusto.