Feeder size vs Tarantula size

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Honestly, they're quite capable killers. I try to feed what I feel is a proportionately accurate meal but I've misjudged it occasionally. For my more aggressive Ts I'm not as strict about proportions but the bigger you feed the more likely they'll plump up and go into a long PreMolt. I think the worst I did was misjudge a the size of a cricket and threw it in with my OBT sling, the cricket didn't last long. My OBT actually ruined his burrow by dragging the cricket inside and it actually pushed the walls out as the cricket didn't fit inside the burrow well at all, lol. That meal was only his second since last molt and it sent him right into PreMolt again.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Honestly, they're quite capable killers. I try to feed what I feel is a proportionately accurate meal but I've misjudged it occasionally. For my more aggressive Ts I'm not as strict about proportions but the bigger you feed the more likely they'll plump up and go into a long PreMolt. I think the worst I did was misjudge a the size of a cricket and threw it in with my OBT sling, the cricket didn't last long. My OBT actually ruined his burrow by dragging the cricket inside and it actually pushed the walls out as the cricket didn't fit inside the burrow well at all, lol. That meal was only his second since last molt and it sent him right into PreMolt again.
I bet that was, interesting to see lol Yeah I tried offering tiny pinhead crickets to my Avic and it ignored them. Tossed in one I thought might be a little big and next thing I know, plump abdomen. The Pokie didn't attack as vicious as I expected, but didn't have any obvious issues with the male dubia.

cold blood

Staff member
Holding at shipping facilities is ok with tarantulas through FedEx? The nearest one is about 45min away from home for me so nothing would be picked up until a Saturday. By the time I clean up, leave work, and cover the kids being home safe, it's close to the closing time of the pick up centers.
Definitely couldn't ship to my work, between co-workers who are not tarantula friendly, even packaged, and the chemicals I work with I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

While I've never had a T shipped to me, I have had MANY other deliveries left out on my porch where A) the sun beats down from 9am-6pm and B) anybody walking by can and has stolen it or damaged/kicked it. Also have had packages held up at a post office for 3 days because of lazy mail delivery people and argumentative clerks at the post office. UPS just tends to claim delivery happened hours before it actually does. This part of Massachusetts is not exactly ideal lol
you need to sign for a t package, so it shouldnt EVER be left on the porch.

Animal deliveries are held at the main hub....generally theyre open till like 9pm.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
you need to sign for a t package, so it shouldnt EVER be left on the porch.

Animal deliveries are held at the main hub....generally theyre open till like 9pm.
Yeah, what should be and what actually happens are not always the same however. When I got the cage for one of my snakes it was supposed to be signed for, nope, left right on the porch.
South boston is the closest shipping center, that might be possible. Traffic dependent. Thanks for all the info! Looks like I have some driving to attempt this evening.
Since I have seen that you sell some of your Ts, out of curiosity, do you use FedEx to ship?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I was just wondering if there is any formula for figuring out if a feeder insect, in my case Dubia roaches, is too large for a tarantula. Most of mine are relatively small, the largest is my P. fasciata and that's only about 4" maximum DLS. The rest are 2.75" and under.

I currently have a surplus of adult male dubias however and wanted to feed some off to at least the Pokie. Would these be too large for him/her?
I don't feed anything larger than the carapace of the Spider.

Lately I have not been feeding most of mine much at all due to their Abdomens getting a bit large for my liking.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I don't feed anything larger than the carapace of the Spider.

Lately I have not been feeding most of mine much at all due to their Abdomens getting a bit large for my liking.
You are one of many that have said the carapace rule, what is the reasoning behind that method? Not disputing it being valid, just trying to learn more. Funny you mention your tarantulas being large in the abdomen, only one of mine seems that way currently and that is hard to tell because it is so small to begin with. About two weeks ago the 3 G. pulchripes all looked a tiny bit on the plump side but now that they have molted, even the two that have eaten since still don't look too large. 4 molts in 10 days or so will do that I suppose

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
If it helps at all, I just did my first online purchase with Fear Not Tarantulas and they were great. Packaging was good, shipping it to a facility was $45 and sending it to home address was $55. There are other good sites too and getting a package full of tarantulas is the best ever :embarrassed:

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
If I went by the carapace rule I'd be feeding my Ts gnats lol.

I use fearnottarantulas, they're awesome!

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
They are the first online company I have looked at, though depending on species and such, I may try to go through a fellow AB member once I figure this all out. If not from here definitely Fear Not though :)
Yeah! The boards are a great option as well! If need be, you have backup sights to check out in the future ;)

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
If you don't see a particular T that you want on their site message and ask them about it. I had to alert Tanya about a problem with their search function and not only did she fix it but chose to extend a sale that they were having. They also just started using this reward feature that I haven't gotten to use yet but it looks nice, can't wait till I can grab some more Ts.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
If you don't see a particular T that you want on their site message and ask them about it. I had to alert Tanya about a problem with their search function and not only did she fix it but chose to extend a sale that they were having. They also just started using this reward feature that I haven't gotten to use yet but it looks nice, can't wait till I can grab some more Ts.
Yes! They have a reward system that basically gives you a dollar for every ten you spend, which is great because when the points build up, you can get something really cool with your points! They had a special that pushed my wife and I over the edge, triple points the first two days of their new rewards. We bought a GBB (which is absolutely gorgeous) and a C versicolor (also amazing) and ended up getting 24 points. That is a good way to keep me coming back, plus the customer service is on point :cool:

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Yes! They have a reward system that basically gives you a dollar for every ten you spend, which is great because when the points build up, you can get something really cool with your points! They had a special that pushed my wife and I over the edge, triple points the first two days of their new rewards. We bought a GBB (which is absolutely gorgeous) and a C versicolor (also amazing) and ended up getting 24 points. That is a good way to keep me coming back, plus the customer service is on point :cool:
I wish they had the point system in my place a few months ago, I'd have at least 17 point saved up by now. Lol

Icculus

Arachnosquire
I've been looking for a MF that suits my experience level. There aren't many available here, unless I want to settle for a species I'm not interested in or another Pokie. Which I am holding off until I've gained more experience. As for shipping, my work hours, temperature, and major shipping company issues I've had make online purchases less than desirable.

Yeah, I know the male numbers should be kept low, typically I aim for 3 females per male. This past year was just a big one for males I guess. This will be my 3rd year keeping this colony. Started it for my Geckos and sadly the winter brumation caused their appetites to drop so too many dubias matured.
Thanks for the input though!
Not sure where you are in mass but there is a great place called jabberwock reptiles in Winchester.

http://www.jabberwockreptiles.com

Sounds like you might be in the western part of the state though. they do ship

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Not sure where you are in mass but there is a great place called jabberwock reptiles in Winchester.

http://www.jabberwockreptiles.com

Sounds like you might be in the western part of the state though. they do ship
That is who I have bought all but one of my tarantulas from actually :D South of Boston area here, not a horrible drive from Jabberwock. Great shop and people, can't recommend them enough. Only downside is that they really only have a couple MF in stock that interest me, and they are Poecilotheria. I need more time before I jump into a full grown Pokie. I am hoping to head to the Reptile Expo in Manchester NH next weekend though. Might find something there.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
That is who I have bought all but one of my tarantulas from actually :D South of Boston area here, not a horrible drive from Jabberwock. Great shop and people, can't recommend them enough. Only downside is that they really only have a couple MF in stock that interest me, and they are Poecilotheria. I need more time before I jump into a full grown Pokie. I am hoping to head to the Reptile Expo in Manchester NH next weekend though. Might find something there.
But some slings then. They're all pretty cheap and you get to raise them (which is fun). Whether or not they end up being male it female

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
But some slings then. They're all pretty cheap and you get to raise them (which is fun). Whether or not they end up being male it female
That's what I've been doing. Slings won't help with the overabundance of MM dubias though. That's what the whole discussion was about. Helping thin them down some. The MF talk came about because of this;
the solution to your surplus MM dubia problem would be to purchase a 6"+ ravenous murder tank.
Thank you for trying to help however :) Are you a regular at Jabberwock? I know at least one more member here on AB is. Even saw her MM get his first breeding attempt there at the store.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
That's what I've been doing. Slings won't help with the overabundance of MM dubias though. That's what the whole discussion was about. Helping thin them down some. The MF talk came about because of this;

Thank you for trying to help however :) Are you a regular at Jabberwock? I know at least one more member here on AB is. Even saw her MM get his first breeding attempt there at the store.
I would like to be a regular there. If only I had a spare room and $1000.

To bad you couldn't just give them away to someone that could use them.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I would like to be a regular there. If only I had a spare room and $1000.

To bad you couldn't just give them away to someone that could use them.
That makes two of us lol I am going to be pushing my space limits just getting a MF on top of everything else. Giving them away would definitely be better, kind of. I have to admit, I much prefer the round number of 8 tarantulas to 7 :D