Feeder Hissers

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A few of yall use roaches for feeders instead of crickets today I'm getting some from flukers farm. I'm getting Hissing Cockroaches (small/medium) and two boxes of crickets.

Are hissers good for feeders? What kind of roaches does everyone use for feeders if they don't use Hissing Cockroaches..And can i feed the hissers the same cricket food I feed the crickets? with some water?

And do I have to put that KY jelly around the rim of whatever I house the roaches in so they can't climb? or they can't climb anyway?

Any more information would help thanks.

here is a link im using for a caresheet..Is this a good one to go by? or no?.......http://[URL="http://www.topline-2000.com/roach/hiscare.html"]www.topline-2000.com/roach/hiscare.html[/url]

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hissers are not good feeders because of their tough exoskeleton. Some of the most popular feeders are Blaberus discoidalis, Blaptica dubia, and Nauphoeta cinerea.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Otherwise known as discoids, dubia, and lobsters... If that helps at all... lol

Lobsters are good, but they climb. Overall i'd say dubia are the best.
BTW how much are you paying for your hissers? I know you can get them for $45 for 100 on here... just to let you know,
~Samuel

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They will eat them, but hissers are slow breeders and have a tough exoskeleton so they make poor feeders. If you have a lot of pets you will want something that breeds faster.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They breed too slow to be convenient. Unless you are feeding a huge tarantula(L. parahybana for example) I wouldn't bother. You could just get a different species and they would be the equivalent of small hissers.

Actually, it shouldn't be too hard to fill a large T with discoids either.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They breed too slow to be convenient. Unless you are feeding a huge tarantula(L. parahybana for example) I wouldn't bother. You could just get a different species and they would be the equivalent of small hissers.

Actually, it shouldn't be too hard to fill a large T with discoids either.
Ok so since they may eat em am i better off just getting a pac man frog and feeding these to him to just get rid of the roaches? lol..Yes I do have a lil extra money to spend on a pac man frog so its not a big deal to buy one if the frog will eat them faster than the spider will.

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hissers are cool roaches and are a good pet species. I would just keep them as pets.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So none of my Tarantulas are going to eat em????
i feed them and they work ok if you feed teh little ones. when they get bigger they can fight back and thats no good. However they arent the best in the world I prefer dubias by far

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
short answer: they work ok as long as you know their limitations

you really should search, i have written paragraphs on using them. i just don't feel like writing them again

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've fed nymph hissers to tarantulas, scorpions, geckos, chickens, gliders, and mice; they loved them. I've also fed the neonates to fire bellied toads and large fish. However, they really aren't a great feeder species for all of the reasons others have suggested, and the older they get the worse they are; I really can't think of much you'd want to try an adult hisser with, as they've got rather spiny legs and are happy to defend themselves. Dubias and discoids are a *much* better choice; cheaper, smaller, softer, faster breeders... need I say more? ;)
I think you should keep at least some as pets - they're a ton of fun: docile, active, interactive, clean, and low-odor. With enough space and hiding areas, a single gender (even males) tank can work very nicely with minimal conflict. I keep about 30 as personal pets and have never been dissapointed by their antics.