Feeder breeding questions....

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
Okay so a friend recently gave me his bearded dragon since he is having to move and cant taker her with him. He gave us his mealworm farm with her...those seem to be reproducing fine. But she eats alot and im having a hard time getting her to eat anything but crickets and mealworms. The problem is i also have 2 tarantulas 2 scorpions and a five lined skink who need crickets also. I know i could save money by breeding the crickets myself but never done it before so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have watched a few youtube videos and it looks pretty easy....but you never know. Thanks again for any feedback.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Okay so a friend recently gave me his bearded dragon since he is having to move and cant taker her with him. He gave us his mealworm farm with her...those seem to be reproducing fine. But she eats alot and im having a hard time getting her to eat anything but crickets and mealworms. The problem is i also have 2 tarantulas 2 scorpions and a five lined skink who need crickets also. I know i could save money by breeding the crickets myself but never done it before so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have watched a few youtube videos and it looks pretty easy....but you never know. Thanks again for any feedback.
Does it have to be crickets? Roaches are easy to breed are silent and don't smell.

Edit. Just reread and saw she won't eat roaches. Will she not eat veg?

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
Does it have to be crickets? Roaches are easy to breed are silent and don't smell.

Edit. Just reread and saw she won't eat roaches. Will she not eat veg?
Barely...i have only had her for about four days though so im still trying. Cant seem to find any roaches in my area....im honestly trying to find out if we can have dubias in tennessee...

basin79

ArachnoGod
Barely...i have only had her for about four days though so im still trying. Cant seem to find any roaches in my area....im honestly trying to find out if we can have dubias in tennessee...
Really not familiar with BD's although I'm sure I've read youngsters require more protein than greens but as adults should eat more veg and fruit.

I'm sure there'll be a load of caresheets out there.

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
Thank you....she is a four year old adult so she certainly needs more greens and veggies but since shes not used to eating them its going to take me some time to work the good stuff into her her diet. Of course it doesnt help much eaither that she pretty much refuses anything with calcium on it. I wont give up on her though.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
You can own dubias in Tennessee, not exactly sure why some dealers seem to think otherwise. I bought a starter colony with plenty of adults on ebay for $25 shipped, totaling 200 roaches.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
If they have problem with Dubia, which are great at playing dead, try Shelfordella lateralis (Turkestan Roach, Red Runners). They are not as easy to breed like the Dubia but they are fast moving cricket sized insects that almost always ignites a feeding response in insectivores. Just keep them warm/humid and start with a large enough culture.

I forgot the days I used to pay for invertebrate feeders but that can get pretty expensive as costs accumulate.

basin79

ArachnoGod
If they have problem with Dubia, which are great at playing dead, try Shelfordella lateralis (Turkestan Roach, Red Runners). They are not as easy to breed like the Dubia but they are fast moving cricket sized insects that almost always ignites a feeding response in insectivores. Just keep them warm/humid and start with a large enough culture.

I forgot the days I used to pay for invertebrate feeders but that can get pretty expensive as costs accumulate.
It'd definitely get expensive. My big adult male African bullfrog could take down 25 big adult dubia roaches in a sitting. That'd easily equate to 25 adult locust. Would have cost me a fortune.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
It'd definitely get expensive. My big adult male African bullfrog could take down 25 big adult dubia roaches in a sitting. That'd easily equate to 25 adult locust. Would have cost me a fortune.
Oh my god the gluttony!

:)

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
So no one knows anything about breeding crickets? We currently have around 250 crickets and trying to get them to mass populate. Not really into the idea of roaches.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Lmao. But really, are all those roaches running around in his stomach?!:astonished::wideyed::eek:
Never bothered him. They eat alsorts in the wild. He had the odd chick/rat treat too.

IamKrush

Arachnopeon
Breed dubia. They are more nutritious Then crickets and pretty simple to breed.