Fed up with fleas!! What do i do???

Newtot

Arachnosquire
Every summer here in Ga the fleas are a nightmare. Every animal has flea drops on them and we are still seeing them everywhere. I dont want to bomb the house bc 1 I have small kids 2 my tarantulas and I have no one who would take them for me to do so. I have stuff to spray the yard that lasts 6 weeks. I'm still afraid to even spray outside. But the flsas have got to go and fast. I'm also doing baking soda and sale mixed and vacuuming. Any tips

basin79

ArachnoGod
Every summer here in Ga the fleas are a nightmare. Every animal has flea drops on them and we are still seeing them everywhere. I dont want to bomb the house bc 1 I have small kids 2 my tarantulas and I have no one who would take them for me to do so. I have stuff to spray the yard that lasts 6 weeks. I'm still afraid to even spray outside. But the flsas have got to go and fast. I'm also doing baking soda and sale mixed and vacuuming. Any tips
If you're able to buy a steam cleaner and steam your carpets. Small machines aren't expensive and you just use one like you're vacuuming. It'll at least kill any fleas in the carpets and their eggs.

Newtot

Arachnosquire
If you're able to buy a steam cleaner and steam your carpets. Small machines aren't expensive and you just use one like you're vacuuming. It'll at least kill any fleas in the carpets and their eggs.
I have zero carpet in my house. It's all hardwood and cement flooring. I swear I have had it with these fleas.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
You can give your pets oral flea preventatives and vacuum the house regularly. Also regularly wash your animals' bedding....that's where the larvae of these little bloodsuckers love to hide out.

Newtot

Arachnosquire
You can give your pets oral flea preventatives and vacuum the house regularly. Also regularly wash your animals' bedding....that's where the larvae of these little bloodsuckers love to hide out.
They are on flea drope k9 advantage. This is every summer.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Oral treatments are generally more effective and last longer, so it's an option if the advantage doesn't work. It also won't harm your tarantulas.

ErikElvis

Newb
Fleas are terrible. I had them once. I had a spray I separated everywhere and bombed the house multiple times. I feel for ya.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Do you have your pets on flea mediation? I had them on The Program. Once I did that, never an issue with fleas.

Also, fleas are attracted to light. If you leave a pan out with water and soap in it (you only need a soap film on the surface) under a nightlight they will migrate, hop in and die.

However if infested, as we were at one point, I believe the only choice you have is to bomb. When one takes a single step onto the floor and you see 10 fleas on your ankles you know you have an infestation.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Do you have your pets on flea mediation? I had them on The Program. Once I did that, never an issue with fleas.

Also, fleas are attracted to light. If you leave a pan out with water and soap in it (you only need a soap film on the surface) under a nightlight they will migrate, hop in and die.

However if infested, as we were at one point, I believe the only choice you have is to bomb. When one takes a single step onto the floor and you see 10 fleas on your ankles you know you have an infestation.
Fleas are attracted to heat, not light. When using the the method you describe to kill adult fleas, you use a desk lamp with an incandescent light that produces heat, not a night light. I've tried this first hand with a LED desk lamp and it failed miserably because the lamp didn't warm up the soapy water. Fleas find a host by two means: body heat and the vibrations from movement, then jump with all of their might in the direction those two things are coming from.

Unfortunately, the pan of soapy water only kills the adults which is only a small fraction of the flea population. Eggs and larvae make up the most of an infestation and those can't be killed with pesticide. I always recommend consulting with a professional for flea infestations. The eggs and larvae can be everywhere and pest management professionals are trained to look for the spots that wouldn't be obvious.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fleas are attracted to heat, not light. When using the the method you describe to kill adult fleas, you use a desk lamp with an incandescent light that produces heat, not a night light. I've tried this first hand with a LED desk lamp and it failed miserably because the lamp didn't warm up the soapy water. Fleas find a host by two means: body heat and the vibrations from movement, then jump with all of their might in the direction those two things are coming from.

Unfortunately, the pan of soapy water only kills the adults which is only a small fraction of the flea population. Eggs and larvae make up the most of an infestation and those can't be killed with pesticide. I always recommend consulting with a professional for flea infestations. The eggs and larvae can be everywhere and pest management professionals are trained to look for the spots that wouldn't be obvious.

This interesting because someone told me to do this. This was before the internet existed to the public, so you go with what you hear from someone else who said "it works" hahhah. It was just coincidence then on my end that they hopped in. Thanks for the info.

True on the life cycle. This I did learn from the vet who promptly put the mammals on the Program- that drug worked great!!

fatalgecko

Arachnopeon
The common distribution of fleas is 50% eggs, 35% larvae, 10% pupae and 5% adults. A female can lay 5000 eggs in their 4 month life cycle.
Another product that you could try is diatomaceous earth as it’s a natural product of mined fossils in freshwater lakes. It pretty much is microscopic barbs that get stuck on insects and cause death. It won’t kill eggs, however it will interrupt the breeding cycle and should see results in 5 days.
Use it on your carpet between vacuuming dust under pet beds and under cushions where your pets often sit on.
I Would however avoid using it in a room you keep your Ts in.

Newtot

Arachnosquire
Bombing the house is out of the question due to the ts. I have no one to watch them for me. Salt and baking soda dehydrates all flea life stages so that's what I'm using now.

fatalgecko

Arachnopeon
Definately don’t bomb the house that will be detrimental for a very long time. Don’t think anyone suggested it. If you try the Diatomaceous Earth it’s easily fiNd chemical free without pesticides. You can get a large bag in pool supply sections as it’s a filter medium as well. Some pesticides add it and feature it so you want to avoid those.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Is the pill form to stop fleas/ticks safe to use with Tarantulas in the house? I took my dog off the one you put on his back when I got the T's and rather not deal with fleas like this poor soul!

Hope you figure everything out :)

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I'm telling you all, fine borax powder is the most effective, benign treatment you will find. It can (and should) be used inside and out. You do have to use it correctly,
Is the pill form to stop fleas/ticks safe to use with Tarantulas in the house? I took my dog off the one you put on his back when I got the T's and rather not deal with fleas like this poor soul!

Hope you figure everything out :)
Probably. Just wash your hands when going from dog to T's. My cat gets topical stuff and hangs out in my T room. I just keep her outside for 24 hours or so after treatment. I am getting a new dog next week and he will get systemic treatment.

I'd do both flea treatment for the animals and the borax.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
They are on flea drope k9 advantage. This is every summer.
I never use drops, easy way to put it, they suck.

Get a pill called trifecta, it works for 3 months i think. The vet also has other pills that will work too. We do pills and never see fleas.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I never use drops, easy way to put it, they suck.

Get a pill called trifecta, it works for 3 months i think. The vet also has other pills that will work too. We do pills and never see fleas.
With that, can you,....per se....pet the animal and then go to your Tarantulas? Or is it effectively the same as the drops contamination wise? Because the drops scared the crap out of me no matter how many times I wash my hands lol!

If you don't know for sure...please say so :)

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
With that, can you,....per se....pet the animal and then go to your Tarantulas? Or is it effectively the same as the drops contamination wise? Because the drops scared the crap out of me no matter how many times I wash my hands lol!

If you don't know for sure...please say so :)
I have never had an issue, but I guess anything is possible so I can’t say for sure, but I know it kills fleas and keeps them away From my dogs better than the oil.

I always wash my hands before doing any maintenance on my enclosures.