fear factor cruelty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Rourke said:
Excellent. Things are clearing up nicely here. Code Monkey was right all along; tarantulas can't feel pain;
Hello, anyone home in your bald head? Are you unable to follow this logic? Nobody knows for sure if Ts really feel pain or not. While its highly probable they don't feel pain like you're feeling now, it not a fact. They might actually feel pain differently than you do...they might not feel pain at all.

Rourke said:
and he isn't even really a perfessor. He earned a 2 year degree in Zoology from a community college in the 60's,
OK, you broke me down. I don't really have a degree in zoology. I'm really a pet psychic. And I have to tell you that all of your Ts think you're gay...not that there's ANYTHING wrong with that!

Rourke said:
and he has never published any scientific work. This last bit is, of course, not proven fact. Merely a theory based on a significant body of evidence.
Its never been work, its always been passion, but I've not only published papers, I was the coauthor of an ecology textbook. :eek:

The ecology computer models I derived were written in FORTRAN. This was way before the VIC-20 was invented. My computer took up an entire room. :eek:

When I got my first degree landing a man on the moon and creating new life forms were both science fiction. :eek:

If you don't keep current in history, you can still fake your way through it. But if you don't keep current in zoology, your fired...or worse...you get freshman biology (which I still request to teach once per year if my schedule allows it because its fun and easy). :)

Last edited:

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
sheri said:
Just wondering, maybe, if you should minister the next service... ;)
Thanks for the invitation, but I'd rather cut my nads off and donate them to the Smithsonian.

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
Anansi said:
Guys this is forum about tarantulas...Come back down to earth...This has turned into some democrat/ republican *edit*....
At first, I wondered where in the hell you saw politics in this thread at all.....but finally it has become clear. It manifests itself boldly in avoidance of the question. Ah, well....no sense in asking it again I suppose.

Incidentally, in the interest of full disclosure: I DO have a degree in Zoology. As well as graduate coursework in molecular and cellular biology, ecology and evolutionary biology, biochemistry, and genetics. I also have several publications in prominent academic journals, including Nature Genetics, Development, Journal of Biological Chemistry, Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Methods in Enzymology. All of these have been in the last two decades.

Perfessor, do you really think the Smithsonian would be interested in your crusty old nads? Again, this seems pompous.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Rourke said:
Perfessor, do you really think the Smithsonian would be interested in your crusty old nads? Again, this seems pompous.
OK, you broke me down again. No, I don't think having my nads on display at the Smithsonian would be as interesting as looking at the dinosaurs, even though they are both from the late crusty-atious period. ;)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Professor T said:
ROTFLMAO, {D A PhD, a MS, and a BS are titles earned and bequeathed. King Nadkicker is a tongue in cheek invention of code monkey that is entertaining, and keeps this board interesting.
Ah, and here's where your pompous know-it-allness can bite you in your own nads, I no more made up the title than I have 8 legs and type with a prehensile tail. It was bequeathed upon me:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=840

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
Ah, and here's where your pompous know-it-allness can bite you in your own nads, I no more made up the title than I have 8 legs and type with a prehensile tail. It was bequeathed upon me:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=840
Was this what you call beqqueathed?

Arachnopets Fightclub

OK! Time to decide who could thrash whom if we had a general melee...

I vote for either Botar the Mighty, or SHD. I would go with Code Monkey, but you can kinda tell from his eyes that he'd be a dirty fighter, and swiftly kick you in the 'nads, if you had some.
Thats weak bequeathment! You were voted President of the United States on an archnoboards poll. I think thats a little stronger. ;)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Professor T said:
Was this what you call beqqueathed?
I believe that deliberate obtuseness is a character trait with you, if you scroll down to post 14 of that thread you would see where Mr. D bequeathed the honorific (his frequent abuse of his admin privileges is a long standing problem around here ;)). I became, iirc, a lowly Lord Nadkicker, then Prince Nadkicker, Demon of Nadkicking, etc. It was bequeathed and then I nadkicked my way through the ranks like anyone else to become the King Nadkicker. I didn't just nitpick a thread-fight and declare the title mine, I never asked for it in the first place, but at least I actually earned it.

Now, can we get back to something that resembles a productive use of this board or are you going to see what other minutiae you can drag out for a few days?

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
I believe that deliberate obtuseness is a character trait with you, if you scroll down to post 14 of that thread you would see where Mr. D bequeathed the honorific (his frequent abuse of his admin privileges is a long standing problem around here ;)). I became, iirc, a lowly Lord Nadkicker, then Prince Nadkicker, Demon of Nadkicking, etc. It was bequeathed and then I nadkicked my way through the ranks like anyone else to become the King Nadkicker. I didn't just nitpick a thread-fight and declare the title mine, I never asked for it in the first place, but at least I actually earned it.
Thanks for clearing that up, the waterhole arachnopet fightclub thread was so interesting I don't know why I didn't scroll to read the whole thing???

A belated congratulations on the bequeathment of Nadkicker! Maybe you can tell us the story of how you went from prince to king? Did that happen somewhere between post 2,000 and 3,000? It must feel great to be king! Even if its just king of a messageboard.

Yes, I think it might be time to post something about invertebrates. I think we've crossed the last synapse and its time for this thread to rest. ;)

Last edited:

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
Now, can we get back to something that resembles a productive use of this board or are you going to see what other minutiae you can drag out for a few days?
Yessir, Mr. Code Monkey. You are right, of course. I already regret the extent of my participation in the degeneration of this thread. Enough truth has been spoken here that further prattle is unnecessary, and let the words of all stand as evidence of their dispositions, their intellectual strengths/weaknesses, and their respective possession, or lack thereof, of nads.

Rourke

Last edited:

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
dtknow said:
Not to sure the show has been attacked in his way, but from my view, it is a waste not because of cruelty, but because of the animals used.

I could care less(aside from the lesson it teaches)if they used crickets, mealworms, heck, even rats in these shows. But they are using something else. Did someone go and breed all the G. rosea and avics to the size for the show...nope. They were ripped from the wild(and the numbers must be quite large) just for a laugh and some amusement. While small scale collection to add the occasional new blood to a stock(which eventually wouldn't be needed when the number of CB individuals got large enough)...this is clearly toom uch for slow reproducing T's to bear if it continues...both for the pet trade and shows like this.
Thats how I feel about it. Wether or not T's feel pain or wether or not anyone considers it a cruel act to the T, it is completley uneeded waste of life.

Also, I would consider it cruel. Not in that the T's are feeling pain, but the type of person that would recieve pleasure out of this. I think it's a cruel act. I also consider myself to be a cruel person to a degree. I find ammusment out of watching a predator kill it's prey. Especially when the prey has no chance of surviving. The cruelty isn't what distrubs me, I know and realise that it's my own personal bias that makes me like watching a cricket get harmed by a tarantula over a tarantula hurting another.

I've enjoyed reading youre responces. It's really cool when I get to read about so many people getting into it and giving good reasons and trying to prove thier points using sound logic. The personal attacks are uninteresting, but Im not going to tell anyone to stop either. It happens, everytime without fail. Someone gets upset, and ends up trying to attack someone on a personal level. Oh well, what are you going to do. It usually calms down with humor and apologies, and it will all blow over anyway. Then another poster will make a smiliar topic and it all starts over again.

Whats cool about it is something new always is brought into the mix. I was really blown away by the half eaten mantis eating the cricket. What an effective use of imagery to prove a point. And a cool story to boot, thx for sharing.

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
Cruelty is a loaded term that is being bandied around alot in this thread without any basis but your anthropomorphic attribution of characters not possessed by tarantulas to them.

Is Fear Factor a show for utter morons? Yes.
Is Fear Factor a show for utter morons as contestants? Yes.
Why did NBC try to out-Fox Fox? The world may never know.
Is it a huge waste of money and animals from our niche point of view? Yes.
However, is what Fear Factor does with inverts *cruel*? Absolutely not.

Anyone who attributes emotional capacity to the majority of invertebrates (some cephalopods are genuinely intelligent) isn't any brighter than a Fear Factor contestant. Without emotional capacity to suffer needlessly you just can't have cruelty. There are reasons why there aren't animal cruelty laws governing inverts and it isn't just because of the ignorant bias of the the majority of humans.
So, let me get this straight...You're implying that, merely based on the IMO quite moot fact that invertebrates don't have feelings, then they should be mamed, destroyed, crushed and it really doesen't matter? who's to feel sorry for them? themselves? nahhh. Well, based on that...I know of quite a few people who have no feelings, I'd definately enjoy crushing them, is that legal? No because they are human beings and that is against the law. However, because Tarantulas don't serenade you, or shed tears, immediately that implicates their lesser-being right? Regardless of what is thought of me, or anyone who might even semi-agree with me, it really doesen't matter.

The conservation and protection of Arachnids and Invertebrates is vital and tremendously important to me atleast, they are a part of nature and if I might say so, far more pure than you, or me or any other human being. Spiders were here before man, remember that...I suppose in the end we'll all get what we deserve for destroying their environments and for treating them like dirt based on the fact that they "don't have feelings" oh boo-hoo man...All I can say is Arachnids are tremendously important to me, and out of the six that I presently own, I would be absolutely heart broken if any of them died, or were injured, but I guess thats just me and rather they have feelings or not, I care about them deeply and societies B.S. over-dramatic arachnophobia and your rediculous opinion about Invertebrates not mattering based on their lack of feelings is never going to change a thing for me...You're allowed your opinion, I'm allowed mine. Funny enough, I actually stopped visiting and posting on this website a long time ago for personal reasons, it figures I'd post again based on something as awful as this. So, thats enough non-sensistic babbling for me, and as Dennis Miller might say, its just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-Sincerely, Mr.Arachnid

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
MrArachnid said:
So, let me get this straight...You're implying that, merely based on the IMO quite moot fact that invertebrates don't have feelings, then they should be mamed, destroyed, crushed and it really doesen't matter?
You're a week too late to this thread and then some. Try reading the rest of the saga, and then if you still don't understand why it's not *cruel* try doing a little research yourself into relevant topics, and if you still don't understand my point, don't waste my time as I am not about to revisit this topic with someone who didn't even pay enough attention to my first post to understand what I said in that one, let alone the other dozen or so posts that follow.

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
It seems what we have here is difference of opinions. :wall:

Let's all just agree to disagree and move on, shall we?

Good, glad that we ALL agreed. :rolleyes:

The Arachnoboards Team

Status
Not open for further replies.