Favorite True Spiders

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What is everyones favorite order, genera, species etc. of true spider?

Alex S.

Last edited:

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Family Heteropodidae ( I've jonsed like nobody's business to get a Holconia immanis)and Salticidae, Alex S!In my opinion, these are the most active spiders. Close, is my other favorite- Ancylomedes sp.

John.
:D

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Johns, yeah, the Heteropodidae and Salticidae are awesome families! I occasionally keep Phiddipus audax (bold jumper), but Im a really big enthusiast of the web constructing spiders. Im currently keeping a very large, adult, female specimen of Latrodectus geometricus (brown widow) that I have fed small tree frogs!!

Alex S.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
hey Alex, or johns...or anyone?
I have a question..I was sent two large female N clavipes in the mail yesterday.
I thought they were near death, not moving much, really stressed out.
So I took the lids off the deli cups, misted them, and had to leave for an hour or so.
I came back and they have completely disappeared..I thought they would go UP...but NO!
any ideas of where they could be?
thanks
Holley

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I think there's a spider gang forming at your house. The P. regalis is leading them and pretty soon they're gonna go on a rape and pillage spree. You better watch out...... :D

Sorry I don't have any pertinant information to add, but I just had to say that. ;P

Scott

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, sheesh....I was all excited to see that someone had replied with PERTINENT information :D NOT!!!!
Yes, I now have 1 P regalis, 1 A avic, 1 C fasciatum, and 2 N clavipes loose in the house along with an untold amount of crickets, and just the other day, I found an adult hisser on the closet door LOL

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
hey Alex, or johns...or anyone?
I have a question..I was sent two large female N clavipes in the mail yesterday.
I thought they were near death, not moving much, really stressed out.
So I took the lids off the deli cups, misted them, and had to leave for an hour or so.
I came back and they have completely disappeared..I thought they would go UP...but NO!
any ideas of where they could be?
thanks
Holley
Not a clue- but best guess is search the room at approximately eye- or-slightly-lower- level- that's where my spiders tend to hide when they pull a Fulsom prison break.

Second option<my personal favorite> hunt down whomever sent you the spiders and strangle the peedingle out of them.;) It's worked for me several times!=D

Good luck hunting the lost colony!:D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
ok all you smarty pants ;)
I was told to release them on a wall near a corner, and that they would start building a web. They needed at least 5' of space for their webs. The one that seemed the most 'ok' was released on my curtain, about eye level and near the corner. The other was in such bad shape that I thought she would not survive, therefore, was left in an open deli container after being misted....
I halfway expected to see some magnificent golden webs this morning upon opening the office door...but ....nada
These girls are NOT small, having an approx legspan of 4.5" +
where the HELL are they?!!!

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
<Slowly backing away from Holley, picking up sharp, pointy objects as I slowly dial 911...>

The only thing remotely helpful I can suggest is E-mailing Alex, and asking himwher the clavipes might be, as his Other Arachnids kung-fu knowledge is quite good.

And Holley, this wouldn't have happened if you'd purchased a Holconia immanis~! ;P

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Holley, sorry to here about the lost spiders, Nephila clavipes is a great species.

Alex S.

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Hey everyone..
well, one of them has turned up on my curtain....she looks like she's having a hard time
I crushed a cricket and put it on her web, such as it is..a couple of strings..
I misted her well, seemed like she enjoyed it, she's cleaning off her legs and drinking.
Alex...I know what you mean, but I certainly don't have an enclosure big enough. Should I just leave her alone now to do her thing?
The other one is still AWOL
Holley

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You're welcome, Alex:) .

Holley, glad you found at least one of the escapees.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thanks Johns...and BTW...were those scissors, exacto knives, etc for me, or the spiders?!

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Holley, good to hear you found one. Yeah, I guess you could see if she will construst a web, I would keep an eye on her though.

Alex S.

Last edited:

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
thanks Johns...and BTW...were those scissors, exacto knives, etc for me, or the spiders?!

For you, dear Holley-you're very:mad: ;) when you lose your N. Clavipes, I should think.

I was dialing 911 because there was about to be some HollyjumpingonpoormiserableJohn, in light of my *witty*(cough)reponse.:D

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, I now have 1 P regalis, 1 A avic, 1 C fasciatum, and 2 N clavipes loose in the house along with an untold amount of crickets, and just the other day, I found an adult hisser on the closet door LOL
WOW! now I don't feel so bad about having an unknown amount of hissers loose in my house (I had adults in a kritter keeper, they had babies and I did not realize until too late that baby hissers could get out through the ventilation slots in the keeper top). of course my wife would have to find one of the mad hissers while she was bagging up newspapers for the recycle bin (of all my inverts mad hissers are the ones she cannot stand)......I think they heard her scream in the next county when she saw the almost adult sized male hisser hiding in the newspapers. Holley, does your S.O. know about all the escapees?
Ed

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
reply true spiders

I would have to say my favorite true spiders are : the brazilian wandering spider, sidney funnel web, and proly the green lynx spider---Jeff

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd check around windows and other well lit areas. You should be able to find them if they're alive. The problem is, when it's time to die they tend to just creep away to somewhere quiet. I also had one recently, but it died within hours of me building a frame for it :(

Wade

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I am bummed...the one that showed up on the curtain is dead, and the other is awol.
Wade, how do you build the frame for it?
I'm wondering if I just didn't have the proper place for them to build a web?

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Holley- Wade's going to be away from his machine til Tuesday(80's group!;P ). Have you got a copy of Schultz's Tarantula Keeper's Guide ?

In there are detailed instructions on frame building.