Favorite Nepenthes

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They're being stupid.

Nepenthes secrete their own fluids to drown insects -- Sarracenia Northwest says that amateurs misinterpret directions like that as watering instructions, don't water normally, and then the plants die.

ARGH for stupid carnivorous plant myths. :wall:

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
However, there is a clause for that. If the plants pitchers are empty, then adding a small amount of rainwater or distilled water to the bottom of the pitchers is a good idea. I picked up that tip from guy with two greenhouses full of CP's.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's still not the same as "keeping the pitchers half-full of water." I still say "argh" to stupid myths. :cool:

Kinda like things telling you to keep flytraps in a tropical environment . . . but that's a different thread.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Or the people that will tell you that flytraps need to be fed. But hey, we can post whatever we want in this thread really, we're practically the only ones who post in it.
Here is a very sickly N. hamata clone I had last summer/fall. It ended up dying in the end, root rot I think. I bought it in this condition because it was seriously the only one I could get my hands on at the time and I figured I'd give it a go. Ahh well, I'll try again this year.

Last edited:

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If that one is doom, this is the pitcher of terror.:D

mike

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
May as well show off my entire collection. :D

Nepenthes rajah: (The only one that didn't want to come out in focus :rolleyes:)

N. diatas: (Only one open pitcher, and it's immature.)

Closeup of the baby pitcher:

N. mikei: (One immature pitcher just opening, plus a couple on their way out.)

N. ventricosa: (One nicely opened pitcher, one "rode the short bus" pitcher.)

A better view of the open pitcher -- check out that nectar on the rim!

N. coplandii: (This guy had two or three open pitchers a few weeks ago -- my photography is always poorly-timed.)

N. x ventrata: (One open pitcher that's nearing the end -- I think this one finally decided that it didn't like being transplanted two months ago.)

All of these were purchased from Sarracenia Northwest.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always get a kick out of seeing copious amounts of nectar on the pitchers. It reminds me of a hungry dog salivating. My truncata was actually dripping so much nectar this past summer that it had a small pool below it.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha, that's awesome! One of mine was dripping down the front of the pitcher and there were little gnats getting caught in it. I love having live-in bug patrol in my apartment.

Last edited: