Faunarium

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are two different pictures of a faunarium.... Is this what is best for my 2.5 Trinidad Chevron (Psalmopoeus cambridgei) when I get him? and I will need peat moss right? because as a juvenile he will burrow correct?

Also when I do house my new P. cambridgei which angle of the faunarium is the best to have it at to give it the most burrowing room? and if i lean it up and down with the top being on the side will this tip over?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Useing these for arboreals has been done but It's not the best. Like you said, they can tip easy and they dry out real quick which requires you to do more work. They do burrow when they are young but only just under the surface. They don't need more than 1.5 or 2 inches of substrate. You need the highth for that T, not width. I would recomend going to a hobby store and getting one of those clear, plastic doll displays. Drill holes in it for good circulation but not too many to maintain humidity. Here is an example I've done for my versicolor. At adult size you will need something larger than this. This is 4 x 4 x 8 and it breaks down low for easy lift up to clean the bottom half. There are plenty of other great looking enclosure in the pic section. Hope this helps.

Jonathan Wilhelm

Arachnopeon
I did the same thing for my arboreal juveniles.

Avic Versicolor far left and Psalmopoeus irminia far right

my P. irminia setup, but now its all webbed up in the corner.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use the large KKs stood up on end.. if you use packing tape to restrict the ventilation they work fine for me.. and I bet I could tip one of those little 4x4x8 alot easier than the others.. however to clean I open up the whole fron of the tank and basically just trust my judgement on the spiders mood :D I like the look of those cubes very much though. just too small.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
one day i will try a k-k on its side for a ( A - VERSICOLOR ) and hope it works lol +++ phil

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am using a round, tall KK. I found them at my local pet store. They come in various sizes and are perfect for arboreals. I will try to get a pic up when I get home from work. The top is a snap on like the other KK's.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks that would be very interesting to see and give me some idea how to do my one +++ phil

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My prefered method is the good ole gallon jar trick. I guess its whatever floats your boat

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
those little KK are REALLY easy to tip over, so beware of that... also you may want to put a little packingtape/saran wrap around the bottom of the tank/lid, to prevent dirt from falling through the ventilation.

i found that these arn't the best for avics, there isn't enough ventilation IMO and the air smells stagnat every time i opened mine.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi would a 12insx12insx12ins exo terra glass tank be better as i have one just sitting in its box all i got to do is to set it up but the k.k. will take less room then the glass tank ? any suggestions as to what one to go for ? thanks === phil

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi would a 12insx12insx12ins exo terra glass tank be better as i have one just sitting in its box all i got to do is to set it up but the k.k. will take less room then the glass tank ? any suggestions as to what one to go for ? thanks === phil
Phil believe it or not I was rehousing my Cameroon Red Baboon (Hysterocrates gigas) and I had it in that faunarium but to me it didn't look to be enough room. So I put my rose hair in a rectangular container and I moved my CRB to a exo terra and this seems to like it better. so I think I'm going to exo terraiums for the rest of my tarantulas I get regardless if they are aboreals or terresterials. Below is a picture of one of my H gigas. and its exoterraium. enjoy everyone and thanks for your opinions and thoughts.

(side note) you cant tell from this picture but Thats a half of a fake long at the bottom and there is an entrance I made and basically all the dirt is patted down diagonally so if he feels me about to enter his living quaters he can quickly come right out that hide directly for me..I'm glad exoterras open from the top lol..

jeep

Arachnopeon
I make these cages with All-Glass aquarium, and I also make the face plates for DIY people who have the tanks already.
This is a picture of the 2.5gal aquarium:

Here is just the faceplate for a 2.5gal:

You can make these yourself or you can PM me for one ;)

-darren