Fastest Growing/Shortest Life-span

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok,

General question, for those in the know. What's the fastest growing tarantula (or which has the shortest life-span)? I know those terms are different, but I'm curious about both.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
donnow about fastest but my B. smithi sling triple size in 4 months, wit 2 molts, so far I think its fastest in my collection of over 150

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can't give you an exact T, but here is some information that you might find useful: Longer lived Ts like Grammostola, Brachypelma, Aphonopelma all grow slow and live long. Lasiodora, Theraphosa, Pterinochilus, live longer then a regular spider, but not as long as the ones mentioned before. No Tarantula really lives a short lifespan. They all have longer ones that a true spider. Apparently if you power feed it, the shorter the life span will be because it will grow faster. So in shorter words, growing faster = shorter lifespan, slower growing = longer lifespan. Let me know if you want me to clarify on any of that. I am pretty tired and don't know if I spelled anything wrong or wrote anything wrong.

Oh ya males of any species have shorter life spans and grow much faster then their female counterpart.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the dwarf species are generally shorter lived - a male of c. elegans for example can mature in under a year. the females are usually ready to breed (at least mine, and i'm not power feeding) in less than 1.5 years.

as said above, slow growing species tend to live longer, fast growing species shorter. arboreals generally (does not apply to all species i believe) live shorter than terrestrials - a brachy can get to twice the age of an avic for example. it also depends on many factors like feeding, temps, health etc. and not least on genetics and the individual itself.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh ya males of any species have shorter life spans and grow much faster then their female counterpart.
Well, tahts really not stritly true. EG; my B smithi is 4yrs old, is a definate male, and is only 5inch atm.. kept exactly the same as my other Brachys and such.
Personally i would say the diference if there is one, is marginal
Im not trying to preach though, its just my opinion

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, tahts really not stritly true. EG; my B smithi is 4yrs old, is a definate male, and is only 5inch atm.. kept exactly the same as my other Brachys and such.
Personally i would say the diference if there is one, is marginal
Im not trying to preach though, its just my opinion

Do you have a female smithi, that was the same size as the male while they were younger. I'm pretty sure if a male and female T were kept the same way, fed the same, etc. THe male would outgrow the female by a molt or 2.

Feeding also plays a big role in the growth of the spiders.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not to mention they might grow the same speed the whole time, but once a male matures usually has less than a year left. When a female matures they can still live long LONG lives!

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
does powerfeeding make them grow bigger or just faster?

i mean if you feed them slowly do they grow more because they have more time to grow inbetween moults whereas if you powerfeed they moult faster so dont get much of a chance?

or do they grow bigger if you powefeed?

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, imo its a very long time for maturation, if your idea holds, it would mean that the female would take much longer still to mature, im expecting about 6 or 7 years old for maturity with this guy, hes just odd. lol
it seems to be quite accepted her in uk that the speed of maturation between the two sexes is not too significant.
I have multiples of many species raised from slings and just havent noticed a difference in maturation of the sexes of any species.. that doesnt mean there isnt one, but atleast not in my experience.
I have loads of siblings of loads of different species atm, il be more observant of this with them, but im not expecting much.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for those replies. I did realise that power-feeding and increased temperature will increase the metabolic rates and decrease life-span, however, I was really interested in which tarantulas have a shorter life-span naturally. Powerfeeding will decrease life-span, but only to a certain degree.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Singa blues have a short lifecycle apparently, over here we pay only about £10 each sling, i got 5 for £40.. theyr still kept together... no detrimental effects so far. Im recording the setup an such.
Have 3 adult females kept seperate too.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
P. murinus and P. cambridgei are like some of the fastest growers.

-Sean

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Fastest growers in my experience, P.murinus from about 1/2 inch sling to mature male in a year (3 months after ultimate molt). The other was a C.cyaneopubscens about 1/2 inch to matuer male in a year and 5 months.

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya i've gotten P. cambridgei and irminia to mature from 1" slings in about 1 year...

Poecilotheria can mature very quickly as well, 1-2 years. (my slings from Sept'06 , some are now 8-10cm legspan). (fasciata)

-=ICM=-