Fascinating G. Rosea Behavior.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
I am a new T Owner so sorry if this seems Newbish. But I am just so excited by this.
My husband has past experience with a G. Rosea Before and has never seen this behavior.
I am Absolutely in love with my Rosie she is quiet a character.
I just fed her a nice juicy cricket, she spins webs while she is eating/slurping.
She Dropped the carcass then spun a web on top of it then moved her water dish over it! :clap:
I recored videos of her moving the water dish over the headless cricket.{D
I'm impressed my girl has spunk.:D & strength!
Is this normal Rosie feeding behavior? :?
I am Absolutely fascinated by her :)
Just thought I would share.:clap:
I love my Girl.:worship:

she just finished spinning in this first video and starts moving the bowl about 30's into the video.. she stops takes a rest then continues in the next video posted.
(Sorry 1st one is so long)
[YOUTUBE]D2m1ByWDFLA[/YOUTUBE]

I guess she is happy??
[YOUTUBE]WY0WEM_TYqU[/YOUTUBE]

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
The Vids don't show as much as I would have Liked as soon as I took camera off her she scooted it across the enclosure pretty quickly. :/

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
How tall is your terrarium and what kind of substrate are you using?
Its about 8 inches tall.
OH NO!!! I just looked at it its zilla jungle mix.
Its fir and sphagnum peat moss mix, then I have dry sphagnum moss on it.
It was sold to me by the girls at the store where I bought it.:wall::wall::wall:
I'm so worried now I was reading that fir can harm them YIKES!:wall::barf:
What do you suggest I do? :8o
Take her out and put her in a tank without? :(
whats the absolute best substrate I should purchase for her.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its about 8 inches tall.
OH NO!!! I just looked at it its zilla jungle mix.
Its fir and sphagnum peat moss mix, then I have dry sphagnum moss on it.
It was sold to me by the girls at the store where I bought it.:wall::wall::wall:
I'm so worried now I was reading that fir can harm them YIKES!:wall::barf:
What do you suggest I do? :8o
Take her out and put her in a tank without? :(
whats the absolute best substrate I should purchase for her.
The best substrate is coconut fiber or sphagnum peat moss, or a mix of the two. Your enclosure seems to be better suited for an arboreal species, I would recommend going out and getting a 5 gallon aquarium. You should have it halfway filled with substrate so if your tarantula decides to climb it won't fall and get injured. As for the fir, I have no clue on it's safety, so someone else will have to tell you about that.

P.S. Don't trust what the pet store says.

Good luck

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for your input will do all that.
I'm taking her out for tonight and putting her in another lower enclosure with the just the peat moss till i can change the setup for her.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes that is normal for theraphosids to cary away their leftovers.

You can never have to deep substrate, it is alway good to have a good depth if she wants to burrow, in the wild they dig very deep into the ground.

You can (probably) get sphagnum peat from flower/garden shops to a much smaller price than the petshop. Just make sure that the peat is natural and dont have any fertilizers or similar in it.

Factanonverba

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for your input will do all that.
I'm taking her out for tonight and putting her in another lower enclosure with the just the peat moss till i can change the setup for her.
If you have "The Container Store" anywhere near you, they sell a transparent shoe box with pre drilled vent holes which seems to make a great home for my Chilean rose. See my images.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
She may also enjoy some type of hide to get in. A flower pot turned on it's side or piece of a large enough pvc pipe would work well.

avion

Arachnopeon
The t stands up on it's toes and does a little wiggle whilst laying down silk.?

It's called a 'Feeding waltz'.
Source "TKG'.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
She may also enjoy some type of hide to get in. A flower pot turned on it's side or piece of a large enough pvc pipe would work well.
Good Ideas thanks! My husband has been worried about putting heavy objects in there saying it would hurt the T if it fell over on her. The pvc pipe sounds like an excellent Idea.:clap:

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
Yes that is normal for theraphosids to cary away their leftovers.

You can never have to deep substrate, it is alway good to have a good depth if she wants to burrow, in the wild they dig very deep into the ground.

You can (probably) get sphagnum peat from flower/garden shops to a much smaller price than the petshop. Just make sure that the peat is natural and dont have any fertilizers or similar in it.
Ah Glad it is normal.
Thanks for the suggestion I will check that out ,I am going to give her a lot of substrate :)

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
The best substrate is coconut fiber or sphagnum peat moss, or a mix of the two. Your enclosure seems to be better suited for an arboreal species, I would recommend going out and getting a 5 gallon aquarium. You should have it halfway filled with substrate so if your tarantula decides to climb it won't fall and get injured. As for the fir, I have no clue on it's safety, so someone else will have to tell you about that.

P.S. Don't trust what the pet store says.

Good luck
Thank you so much! I just want a happy healthy T
Will do I am going to go looking for coconut fiber.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CUte ! :){D:clap: thanks! :)
We call it the happy dance. :D

Also, you can use coco, peat, or potting soil(no fertilizers), and/ or any mixture of the three and have a good substrate to keep a T on. You need to fill up the enclosure until there is only about a legspan and a half between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure to help prevent injuries due to a fall. That is a very nifty enclosure and I would hate to see you ditch it for a 5 gal. aquarium. :) In fact, where did you get it?:drool:

If you are going for aesthetics with your enclosure, the pot can be hot glued to the side of the enclosure to provide stability, should the T choose to burrow under it. You can also use hot glue to glue some of the sphagnum moss to the clay pot and camouflage what it really is.:) We use chunks of cork bark in ours and sculpt out little caves for them to keep it more natural looking.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
We call it the happy dance. :D

Also, you can use coco, peat, or potting soil(no fertilizers), and/ or any mixture of the three and have a good substrate to keep a T on. You need to fill up the enclosure until there is only about a legspan and a half between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure to help prevent injuries due to a fall. That is a very nifty enclosure and I would hate to see you ditch it for a 5 gal. aquarium. :) In fact, where did you get it?:drool:
Thank you so much!:clap:{D
Yes it is a bit bigger than a 5.5 gal too.
Its called a half moon terrarium I purchased it at petco for 49.99.(I havent seen it on their website) I bought one for my pink toe for the height and I liked it so much I decided to buy one for my rosie.:drool: I didn't want her to get jealous of my Avic so I figured I could adapt it to the different species, just wasn't sure how till now..:clap:
(Attached is sku and Image of box if anyone wants to try to find it :) )

If you are going for aesthetics with your enclosure, the pot can be hot glued to the side of the enclosure to provide stability, should the T choose to burrow under it. You can also use hot glue to glue some of the sphagnum moss to the clay pot and camouflage what it really is.:) We use chunks of cork bark in ours and sculpt out little caves for them to keep it more natural looking.
Thanks for the hot glue Idea!! Your great! :) :clap:

Going to go shopping for proper substrate and Hideaways for my T now :)

P.s. I used your idea for my crickets with the mini bags of organic carrots.. so easy.. we have some fat juicy crickets now lol ;) yummy. thanks for all your help.

Attachments

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well if you continue to use that enclosure, please DO NOT go by the picture. That picture displays very improper care. You will need to fill it up to at least half full with substrate.

Good luck