Fangs not turning black after molt?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey my versicolor sling molted from a little over 2 inches to mabey 3 inches on 2-23-11, so it was well over a week ago. And now that I look at her fangs as she is grooming, her fangs still seem dark red. I thought that they were black so I offered her food last night and it is gone now. does it usualy take this long for them to harden?

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey my versicolor sling molted from a little over 2 inches to mabey 3 inches on 2-23-11, so it was well over a week ago. And now that I look at her fangs as she is grooming, her fangs still seem dark red. I thought that they were black so I offered her food last night and it is gone now. does it usualy take this long for them to harden?
I have noticed when they are slings, even young juvies, their fangs tend to have more of a deep reddish tint to them, rather than jet black....nearing then end of the molt cycle, they may be more on the black side....and, if she ate the cricket, then her fangs are good to go!

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have noticed when they are slings, even young juvies, their fangs tend to have more of a deep reddish tint to them, rather than jet black....nearing then end of the molt cycle, they may be more on the black side....and, if she ate the cricket, then her fangs are good to go!
Oh, I'm not sure if the roach is just hiding somwhere. I'm also assuming she ate it because she is grooming now. somthing she hasn't done since she molted. Here is a picture of the fangs.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just looked at my two juvie Avic's and their fangs have a reddish tint too. mine haven't molted in a few weeks either, so it looks normal.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok so I guess there is nothing wrong with mine. And off topic, if you look closley it even has some purple on the legs!:D:worship::clap:

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, the fangs generally go from white, turn reddish, then get darker from there till they turn black, if a pretty long process, once they are dark red you can feed though.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Oh, I'm not sure if the roach is just hiding somwhere. I'm also assuming she ate it because she is grooming now. somthing she hasn't done since she molted. Here is a picture of the fangs.
Now that you know the fangs don't have to be black, you can pull your foot out of your mouth {D :clap: