Fangs after a molt

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I noticed that my little B. albopilosum sling had a fang broken in half, well he molted Tuesday night and now the fang is completely missing. But what has me curious is that the other fang is blood red. I have never seen this in any of my other T's. Is this normal? and what causes them to be red and about how long will it take it to turn black? Has anyone else seen this in their slings? His eating habits hadn't changed a bit, still ate like a pig (haven't fed him yet after the molt). Not too many worries just wondering. :?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All my tarantulas have red fangs after a moult. It takes some time for them to become fully black.

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually the fangs of all of my tarantulas were white after a molt :?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
white - reddish - black

don't feed until the fangs are black :)
as for the time, it depends on the size of the T.. the young ones can "dry up" in 1 day (or a couple of hours, if its really small), and the big guys take maybe a week.

if its an adult, i don't even offer food untill i make sure the fangs are jet black (usually 7-10 days).. .the little 1" slings can take it in a day (though i think thats a conservative amount of time).

the best way is to just look at the fangs. if they look black and menacing, its feeding time :)
peace
dave

bodisky

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spidergirl,
I have had that happen several times. One A.moderatum had such badly deformed fangs it couldnt eat. So I killed and opened up crickets for it until the next molt. It was fine after that.
One H. minax had a broken tip fang and still ate although not as much until after the next molt.
I have had a B. smithi with a missing fang that also required assistance feeding but as with the others corrected itself upon molting.
Kerry