Fair Trade Blue Morphos

belisalisa

Arachnopeon
A group of Maya villagers of San Pedro Columbia, Belize has formed a butterfly breeding collective. As the local schoolteacher and the only person who has a computer, I have been voted the marketer for the pupae. We have blue morphos, owl -faced butterflies, swallowtails, and smaller species such as the zebra and postman. We would like to sell the large species for $4 and the smaller for $2-$3. Does anyone know how I can help these guys market their pupae? I want to encourage the collective because it helps provide local employment and encourages people to leave parts of the rain forest intact (as the food plants grow in the forest),instead of cutting it all down to plant corn, which is the trend. Thanks, Arachnofolx

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you affiliated with Fallen Stones Butterfly Farm?

I think in order for this to become a viable operation you will need to get contacts with some of the larger wholesalers in Europe. They will expect a minimum quantity of pupae every week or two weeks in order to ensure a reliable and continuous supply.

Ollie

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You might find a better market selling pinned and spread specimens?

They might also be easier to export?

Not sure on this...just an idea. :)

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you sell pinned specimens they last for a long time and you won't get much repeat business but live specimens need to be replaced continuously.:)

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nothing wrong with doing both. The market is bigger for pinned specimens as live ones can only be sold to keepers in the UK/institutions with permits in the US.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Contact zoos and places that have live exotic butterfly flight houses. I recently went to the "butterfly rainforest" in Gainesville FL and they buy their pupae from all over the world.