Extremely odd behavior

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Last night as I was feeding my adult tarantulas, I had a very interesting thing happen. One of my Chilean Rose tarantulas, who is a tremendous eater (She's never turned down a cricket) was in her hide when I put the cricket in the enclosure. She immediately grabbed it, and I thought that was it for Mr. cricket. After a couple minutes, she came out of her hide with the cricket still in her fangs, and walked over to her water bowl. She then gently placed the cricket down next to the water bowl and walked back into her hide.
Now here's the odd part. The cricket was unharmed! She carried it like a mother cat carries a young kitten! There was no struggle, and she was very gentle about setting it down!
I'm stunned! Especially with the way she eats!
Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, cool. No idea what it means though :/

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by rknralf
Last night as I was feeding my adult tarantulas, I had a very interesting thing happen. One of my Chilean Rose tarantulas, who is a tremendous eater (She's never turned down a cricket) was in her hide when I put the cricket in the enclosure. She immediately grabbed it, and I thought that was it for Mr. cricket. After a couple minutes, she came out of her hide with the cricket still in her fangs, and walked over to her water bowl. She then gently placed the cricket down next to the water bowl and walked back into her hide.
Now here's the odd part. The cricket was unharmed! She carried it like a mother cat carries a young kitten! There was no struggle, and she was very gentle about setting it down!
I'm stunned! Especially with the way she eats!
Has anyone else ever experienced this?
I have never witnessed that sort of behavior with crickets. I see it quite often with pinkies, however.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Re: Extremely odd behavior

Originally posted by JP version 1.0
I have never witnessed that sort of behavior with crickets. I see it quite often with pinkies, however.
Same here.

Joy

MMAFogg

Arachnosquire
Well... seeing as we are all here....

Ever find out any more on this??

My MM G.rosea spent about 8 hours holding a Locust befor he decided to acctualty bite it, but iv never seen anything like that befor.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well if they never turn down a cricket, and are known to fast, maybe that day they where not hungry. Why kill and waste food when it can liver longer while it doesn't rot away from envenomation, woo so they put it back outside, like they would their 'bolus'

My rosea did it often, and my P. pulcher does the same thing.