Extremely Large Wolf Spider?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I always assumed that getting them past the 2nd molt was important before shipping. Is this wrong?
They shouldn't be shipped any earlier than the second instar, but it's fine to ship them then.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
man its been a while...
https://www.thorntonplastics.com/
These were the defacto vials BITD... are they still?
might be pricey though..depending on how many you have. BUT, you could conceivably house a few to a vial, by separating each sling by a plug of paper towel...
Also of course, you just build the costs into how much you charge :)

Thank you again for helping me overcome my ignorance.

https://www.amazon.com/Teenitor-Plastic-16×100mm-Experiment-Birthday/dp/B07FVJZH6D/

Is something like this good for shipping slings? Cotton in the end and a piece of TP for padding or is there something better?

Paul
yes! A little pill of paper towel top and bottom, 2 drops of water..... You could even ship in a padded envelope

Last edited by a moderator:

pbenner

Arachnosquire
So, I'm at my 4th lost Sling out of about 200 so 2% or so. We are going through them and they are mostly thriving. I am guessing it was either damage during the rehousing or something else my Ignorance caused.

What is an acceptable loss rate with slings? How many should I expect to see molt?

Thanks

Paul

mmcguffi

Arachnopeon
Im definitely no expert here, but if you have a stable population of any animal, each generation would yield 2 more of that same animal. In other words, 2 parents, 2 children (that reproduce). So 2% loss on 200 seems much better than nature would do! Great job on the dedicated husbandry :)

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Lycosidae are my absolute favorite true spiders to keep. The best hunting behavior I've ever seen. Super cool to keep. I always catch the big females I see in my room and keep them. Here's the most recent. View attachment 323727
Good luck with yours. :) also, IDs welcome.
I always find a bunch of them around my house during the warmer months. I call them the poor-man's tarantula since I'm not allowed to keep T's and these are the closest I can get. What I really love doing is placing them in large enclosures and tossing in crickets and I just watch them hunt and stalk them. These have the best feeding responses I've ever seen; they don't care how bit it is, they'll eat it if they can, almost like salticids

pbenner

Arachnosquire
There was one Sling that caught my eye right away for being extremely feisty. He was the first one we got to watch eat his fly, and was the 7th we fed, so we marked his tub with a #7. He is the first one that we have seen with a solid molt and he is HUGE. I'll get a picture of him soon. We've got them split into two different groups of around 100 or so spiders and they're being fed in batches about every 10 to 14 days. I'm trying to do more, but work has me to the wall.

I will be for sure looking to ship some of these out, but with the onset of winter months, I don't know that it'll be safe for a while, but I'll see what can be done. I do plan on keeping as many alive as possible as they're awesome little hunters.

Thanks again for all the help. Has been a massive undertaking.

Paul

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Also the test tubes would work pretty well for shipping but if you ever run out you can just use bigger straws, cut them into smaller sections, and cover/plug both ends with damp paper towel pieces so you manage to fit the sling inside. Then, if someone is ordering multiple slings, you can place the straws with the slings inside of a larger container(like a snap cap vial like one from Thornton’s plastics) and wrap them all in some paper towels inside of the container. Then pack the whole thing ip and send it on its way.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There was one Sling that caught my eye right away for being extremely feisty. He was the first one we got to watch eat his fly, and was the 7th we fed, so we marked his tub with a #7. He is the first one that we have seen with a solid molt and he is HUGE. I'll get a picture of him soon. We've got them split into two different groups of around 100 or so spiders and they're being fed in batches about every 10 to 14 days. I'm trying to do more, but work has me to the wall.

I will be for sure looking to ship some of these out, but with the onset of winter months, I don't know that it'll be safe for a while, but I'll see what can be done. I do plan on keeping as many alive as possible as they're awesome little hunters.

Thanks again for all the help. Has been a massive undertaking.

Paul