Extremely Large Wolf Spider?

pbenner

Arachnosquire
20191014_202823.jpg

So at the end of the night for this at least;

100 originally separated have been given (1) fruit fly each and another 37 have been put into the second round of tubs. This is all that have come off her back on their own so far. I will get those fed In the next few nights as I'm sure I'll be splitting more out to their own tubs tomorrow.

I've got to get to reading on wolf spiders soon too. Any suggestions?

Thanks again all for being awesome!

Paul

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
WFF is Wild Fruit Flies?
Sorry, wingless fruit flies :embarrassed: Them lil buggers are great feeders, but me personally, I struggle with them. I do find putting them in the freezer for 20 seconds or so slows em down a lot. Not the culture itself in the freezer just to clarify.

*you posted while I wrote mine. HOLY SMOKES! That’s a lot of slings my friend! Good giggity!

pbenner

Arachnosquire
Sorry, wingless fruit flies :embarrassed: Them lil buggers are great feeders, but me personally, I struggle with them. I do find putting them in the freezer for 20 seconds or so slows em down a lot. Not the culture itself in the freezer just to clarify.

*you posted while I wrote mine. HOLY SMOKES! That’s a lot of slings my friend! Good giggity!
Gotcha! I've developed a system that keeps them manageable. I shake a few (10 to 12) out into an empty fly culture cup and put a lid on it. I shake them around enough to give them brain damage then I keep tapping that cup as I work to knock them back to the bottom. As I work through feeding I refill from my culture as I need. It works rather well.

And yes, it is a lot of Slings, but I really want to see this through as this is a beautiful species.

20191013_112855.jpg

I got this beauty tonight as well. I'm pretty sure is also a Hogna but am not positive. Got him off the trap earlier and he is chilling in an old converted cheese puff container.

pbenner

Arachnosquire
received_806357003114251.jpeg
Fierce little bastards they are. It's pretty awesome to watch the kill. Sorry to keep posting in my own thread on top of my self but am using this as a kind of log.

pbenner

Arachnosquire
It's looking like the last of the stragglers that were on Momma are finally moving along, I'll be spending some time over the next few nights moving the babies into their own cups and getting a final count. I've exausted google and searches here. I've found a few threads where people attempted this and they just fall off with no success, failure, or other feed back for raising these kinds of slings. So I'm back here again to ask a few more stupid questions.

Water - How am I to provide these guys water? Do they get enough from their prey or should I be leaving a drop of water in the cage somewhere? I'm thinking that the surface of a boiled live oak leaf might hold a drop okay?

How much space does a hunting spider require? I gave them pretty large cups for their size, but they're still beating at the walls all the time. Is this to be expected?

Momma is more and more active and appears to have eaten the roaches that were in her cage, but I'm not positive as I haven't gone digging. I am going to move her into a permanent home soon, but how much space should *she* have?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Water - How am I to provide these guys water? Do they get enough from their prey or should I be leaving a drop of water in the cage somewhere? I'm thinking that the surface of a boiled live oak leaf might hold a drop okay?
They will get a certain amount from prey, but if you put some moss in there and drip water onto it, that could be a source of water. Alternatively, you could use a very shallow water dish.

How much space does a hunting spider require? I gave them pretty large cups for their size, but they're still beating at the walls all the time. Is this to be expected?

Momma is more and more active and appears to have eaten the roaches that were in her cage, but I'm not positive as I haven't gone digging. I am going to move her into a permanent home soon, but how much space should *she* have?
I haven't kept wolf spiders, but I would give them at least a few times their leg span so they can wander in search of prey.

pbenner

Arachnosquire
Moss! You're a genius, or I'm an idiot. Possibly neither or both, but hey. Great idea!

I'll be harvesting some Live Oak Leaves today and will look for some moss. Sphagnum would be good? I'll wet the moss, add the leaf and a little moss to each tub on my next pass through. Should be fun!

Thank you again for supporting all the stupid questions. It is appreciated.

Paul

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Lycosidae are my absolute favorite true spiders to keep. The best hunting behavior I've ever seen. Super cool to keep. I always catch the big females I see in my room and keep them. Here's the most recent. 1571419207128458879902801706497.jpg
Good luck with yours. :) also, IDs welcome.

pbenner

Arachnosquire
20191019_090503.jpg

Here we go on the upgraded enclosures for the Slings. Really want honest opinions here.

You can see the size of a "large" sling in this tub. I am going to do upgrades for the first 100 today and then will feed the next 40 to 50 that have been separated. She still has enough babies clinging to her to fully cover her abdomen.

Paul

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
I'd be interested in a few, since Chicago has comparatively small spiders..
Shipping should be easy and now 2-3 day would work well for most areas.
Note: do not ship with dirt. just a piece of slightly damp paper towel...The dirt can turn that cup into a cement mixer when bounced around

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
I'd like to ad, that the amount of moisture in a closed vial can be small, to raise the humidity to a high point....
I received tiny slings that were for a lack of a better word, swamped to death.... I asked for 2-3 day, so no LAG..
The paper towels were SOAKED, the poor things probably got pummeled to death...
scrunch up some unscented TP, make a plug. then roll some around your finger to make a tube taller than the vial...
squish that down so it ' accordions ' and cap off with another scrunched up plug. couple drops of water, cap n tape
Don't over think it !
:)

pbenner

Arachnosquire
I'd like to ad, that the amount of moisture in a closed vial can be small, to raise the humidity to a high point....
I received tiny slings that were for a lack of a better word, swamped to death.... I asked for 2-3 day, so no LAG..
The paper towels were SOAKED, the poor things probably got pummeled to death...
scrunch up some unscented TP, make a plug. then roll some around your finger to make a tube taller than the vial...
squish that down so it ' accordions ' and cap off with another scrunched up plug. couple drops of water, cap n tape
Don't over think it !
:)

Where does one acquire appropriate shipping vials?

I always assumed that getting them past the 2nd molt was important before shipping. Is this wrong?

Paul