Exposure Therapy Bay Area

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
hey guys. As some of you know, I have a fear of spiders. I am looking to overcome this fear, and was wondering if you gus know of any place in the bay where I can do exposure therapy? I don't want to buy a spider just to get over my fear of them.
thanks.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Check out the Arachnofunctions subforum.
You might be able to find some hobbyist near you with some local area info.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
When it’s safe to get out again and social functions aren’t cancelled, I’d recommend going to a reptile/exotic pet expo. If you search “reptile expo [your area]” you’re likely to find dates for weekend shows. There aren’t always tarantulas at these things but you can often look at the vendor list to see who will be there selling inverts and who will just be selling reptiles. Vendors sell a variety of sizes, some sell just slings but some sell juveniles that are all safe inside an enclosure and you can get a good look at them from a fear-safe distance. And if you explain that you’re pretty afraid of them, most vendors are happy to share their knowledge that might help you see them as less scary animals.
Good luck!!

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
San diego has a few large shows every year since ur in the bay area idk whats closest to you. As does the LA area but idk whats happening with those this year lol. SOME vendors let you get a closer look at what theyre offering for sale n might let you hold something. My first expo when i was like 13 they let us hold a scorpion and tarantula i dont remember what sp besides the typical asian forest scorpion.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
When it’s safe to get out again and social functions aren’t cancelled, I’d recommend going to a reptile/exotic pet expo. If you search “reptile expo [your area]” you’re likely to find dates for weekend shows. There aren’t always tarantulas at these things but you can often look at the vendor list to see who will be there selling inverts and who will just be selling reptiles. Vendors sell a variety of sizes, some sell just slings but some sell juveniles that are all safe inside an enclosure and you can get a good look at them from a fear-safe distance. And if you explain that you’re pretty afraid of them, most vendors are happy to share their knowledge that might help you see them as less scary animals.
Good luck!!
I know there are expos, but I would need to be in close contact with one frequtely. i won't suddenly be ok with spiders because I looked at a few from behind a glass. I am okay with looking at them, but I think of them as repulsive (this response will get so many dislikes) and I want to be able to have a spider walk on my hand for all i care. I don't think going to an expo and maybe holding one will "cure" me.

Gavin Sons

Arachnopeon
I would never let someone that is afraid of spiders hold any of mine. If you want one you can hold buy your own and take thunder chance on killing your own. Us keepers put too much time and effort into caring and keeping ours alive to let someone that is very afraid of then hold them and potentially hurting them or killing them. Sorry that's just my opinion. You might find an idiot that will allow this but i doubt it.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I know there are expos, but I would need to be in close contact with one frequtely. i won't suddenly be ok with spiders because I looked at a few from behind a glass. I am okay with looking at them, but I think of them as repulsive (this response will get so many dislikes) and I want to be able to have a spider walk on my hand for all i care. I don't think going to an expo and maybe holding one will "cure" me.
Exposure therapy is usually done through incremental levels of habituation. For example, you can first get used to walking around spiders in secure containers, then you can move up to walking around spiders in unsecure containers, then to spiders free-roaming, etc. You'd move on after the spiders stop instigating any negative feelings. Jumping straight into the deep end may cause the opposite effect (of course this varies from person to person).
It also works best when practicing mindfulness, which is essentially taking in "the moment" and objectively dissecting what you're experiencing/feeling, ("why is this particular spider repulsing me right at this moment?"). The aim isn't really to detach you from the experience, but to change your perceptions. In your case a potential aim could be to replace your feelings of repulsion with compassion (it's a living thing too"), interest ("how do spider muscles work?"), or respect ("they reduce dangerous pest populations after all").
At least that was my grasp on it. I'm a psychologist, but I moved away from the clinical/counseling side of things.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
In the mean time (since things are shut down) you can try watching some videos on tarantulas where keepers are taking good care of them and appreciating them. I personally never had a fear of ants....but I really hated them. I started watching Ants Canada and it did change my perspective. Fear and hate are pretty closely linked.

I wish my BF would want to overcome his fears. He does not even want to look at them. It is a shame because I think they are so adorable.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Exposure therapy is usually done through incremental levels of habituation. For example, you can first get used to walking around spiders in secure containers, then you can move up to walking around spiders in unsecure containers, then to spiders free-roaming, etc. You'd move on after the spiders stop instigating any negative feelings. Jumping straight into the deep end may cause the opposite effect (of course this varies from person to person).
It also works best when practicing mindfulness, which is essentially taking in "the moment" and objectively dissecting what you're experiencing/feeling, ("why is this particular spider repulsing me right at this moment?"). The aim isn't really to detach you from the experience, but to change your perceptions. In your case a potential aim could be to replace your feelings of repulsion with compassion (it's a living thing too"), interest ("how do spider muscles work?"), or respect ("they reduce dangerous pest populations after all").
At least that was my grasp on it. I'm a psychologist, but I moved away from the clinical/counseling side of things.
Exactly. It has to be repeat exposure. Going to a reptile show is not going to going to cure my fear of spiders. I need repeat exposure in a controlled setting. I don't want to walk around containers because I am not that scared of spiders. I just can't bring myself to put my hand near one. Looking at them trough a glass doesn't bother me. I could have a tarantula in a glass container in my room and wouldn't care. So that's why I want to go to a professional place to get me to not be scared of spiders.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Before I got any tarantulas, I watched hours and hours of videos from TarantulaAddict on YouTube. His voice is so soothing and he likes his spiders so much that I found his videos very calming to watch and I got really used to seeing the spiders, how they moved, etc. It helped that I also have friends who are really into bugs and bred spiders, as well. I kept some jumping spiders and got my first tarantula at a bug fair about 4 months after I started watching TarantulaAddict's videos.

If you'd like to hold one, I would recommend going to a natural history museum or some sort of zoo where they have an ambassador tarantula that they let kids hold. I personally don't handle, but I do see value in ambassador spiders to help people realize that these creatures aren't as scary as they seem.