Experimenting with detritivores

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
How do you find the Onychiuridae? I love how they look! the only springtails I find/keep are what you identified as I think the common tropical ones (Sinella something?)

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
How do you find the Onychiuridae? I love how they look! the only springtails I find/keep are what you identified as I think the common tropical ones (Sinella something?)
I have 2 species of them. The longer, prolific ones are subterranean and can easily be found in moist soil. They can be hard to spot at first as they curl up into balls and stay still when disturbed. The second pudgier species was found under half submerged rocks on the edge of a local (manmade?) pond. Rancid mud is surprisingly diverse! Speaking of Onychiuridae, my group of the second species have died out. I'll try a different setup the nest time I can collect some. On a different note, heres some cute velvet mites that came in on the liverwort I collected. Didn't know we even had them here.
CSC_2967.JPG

schmiggle

Arachnoking
On a different note, heres some cute velvet mites that came in on the liverwort I collected. Didn't know we even had them here
Beautiful! I think velvet mites are cosmopolitan (maybe not in desert or tundra). When I knew what to look for I started seeing them all over the place.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Beautiful! I think velvet mites are cosmopolitan (maybe not in desert or tundra). When I knew what to look for I started seeing them all over the place.
South Californian deserts are home to Dinothrombidium, so they can live in very dry places. Heres another species I found yesterday, a single individual under a log next to some Brachycibe producta. Surprising that they've already started to come out without rain, perhaps the fog we got wettened the soil sufficiently.
CSC_4180.JPG

Kazeres

Arachnopeon
So interesting thread!! I had a tiny colony of oribatids in my isopods bin but I didnt know what kind of mites was.

I have three or more species of springtails living along my isopods, but I dont know what specie are.

I found ball like springtails living on water surface of my tanks of fish.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
So interesting thread!! I had a tiny colony of oribatids in my isopods bin but I didnt know what kind of mites was.

I have three or more species of springtails living along my isopods, but I dont know what specie are.

I found ball like springtails living on water surface of my tanks of fish.
Ball like springtails are globulars of some sort, if you're in Europe then Sminthruides seems like a likely genus.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
What cam or microscope do you use to make photos of springtail??
I use a nikkon d3300 with a nikkor af 18-55mm kit lens. Far from ideal and I have to crop the actual photos a ton(which is why they're so grainy) but an actual macro lens is out of my budget range.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Now that I've established a populous mixed culture, I'll try a few isolated cultures, as that will make it much easier to sell these when I find the time to do that.

Some Entomobrya unostrigata in their box, they may be a relatively bland springtail but I do enjoy how their color can range from a clay like orange to a greenish grey. They're also one of the largest entomobryomorphs here and the largest I currently have in culture, size is always a plus with springtails.
CSC_4785.JPG

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
How easy breed simphylams and diplurans???
Symphylans are really easy, they can actually be kept in a conventional charcoal tub if you get rid of the stagnant water and instead just have moist charcoal. Diplurans I haven't had much success with, but they should be relatively simple as well. Both feed on decaying plant matter, unless you have japygid diplurans which are predatory.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Check out this tiny glob I found under my trap. Not sure if it's a juvenile or just a really small species, either way it goes in with my Isotomurus.
CSC_4992.JPG
CSC_4993.JPG
CSC_4995.JPG
CSC_4996.JPG

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Lotta stuff today, so much so I have to make 2 individual posts to accomodate for it. Found a lot more of those tiny white globs, which I've identified as an arrhopalitidae sp.
CSC_5125.JPG
CSC_5124.JPG

Here's the tiniest springtail I've ever seen, a newly hatched glob. I'll admit I didn't see this guy until I started editing my photos.
CSC_5120.JPG

Some long legged Eupodidae, I caught 2 individual interacting on camera. Social behavior or merely inspection?
CSC_5023.JPG
CSC_5025.JPG
CSC_5024.JPG

Odd white disc shaped mites, no idea what these are.
CSC_5118.JPG
CSC_5123.JPG

Orb like reddish mites, probably an oribatid.
CSC_5122.JPG

An elongated eupodoidea.
CSC_5119.JPG

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Some purplish silver entomobridae.
CSC_5168.JPG
CSC_5169.JPG

Second Dicyrtomidae of the year!
CSC_5196.JPG
CSC_5194.JPG

With an Isotomurus.
CSC_5181.JPG

With an arrhopalitidae.
CSC_5195.JPG

And perhaps my favorite find, an adorable little female Myrmecophilus cricket.
CSC_5212.JPG
CSC_5213.JPG

These are all going in with my Isotomurus, I'll get a mixed culture going and then separate them into species specific ones.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Ponerinecat, your fascination with micro species is inspiring. Can you go become a collembologist and microarachnologist or something ;) ?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
@Ponerinecat, your fascination with micro species is inspiring. Can you go become a collembologist and microarachnologist or something ;) ?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Haha, I'd love to. Planning on having some field of biology regarding small arthropods be my college education, although I'm not certain of which one yet. Entomology is my go to for now, specifically myrmecology.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Daddy long leg mites..huh.

The globs are adorable, as usual. Hope you have better luck with them this time.

Be a collembologist, ants are so 1995.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
1604809876141.jpeg
I have these in my isopod culture as well! they like to roam on the wood and congregate inside condensation droplets.