Experimenting with detritivores

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Excellent showcase. The diversity and variety of springtails from just one area surprises me. I really like those watermelon globs!

I use a nikkon d3300 with a nikkor af 18-55mm kit lens. Far from ideal and I have to crop the actual photos a ton(which is why they're so grainy) but an actual macro lens is out of my budget range.
I can't believe my first two posts after three years are about these things, but...

I have a set of Nanoha tubes for my Lumix GX80. Like the article says, they don't match up to a dedicated macro lens, but you can get some decent results, futzing about on a budget.

Ponerinecat

Arachnoknight
Excellent showcase. The diversity and variety of springtails from just one area surprises me. I really like those watermelon globs!

I can't believe my first two posts after three years are about these things, but...

I have a set of Nanoha tubes for my Lumix GX80. Like the article says, they don't match up to a dedicated macro lens, but you can get some decent results, futzing about on a budget.
Yeah, I've definitely been considering extension tubes or maybe a reversal ring. never got around to actually getting one though.

andy1997

Arachnopeon
Hello, sorry to post this in your thread, but you seem very knowledgeable. Any idea what the creature at 0:12 seconds is? I'm used to seeing springtails in my water dishes, but I don't think I've ever seen these before. Thanks in advance.

Ponerinecat

Arachnoknight
Created some new setups for my arid species, ground up some bricks and charcoal to make a paste that turns into a hardened dirt like surface when dried. The inherent humidity of plaster setups seemed to be inhibiting the Seria sp 13, Entomobrya unostrigata, atrocincta, and other dry lovers. Also cut some holes in the lid and covered them with wire mesh to improve circulation.

CSC_2204.JPG
CSC_2226.JPG
CSC_2238.JPG

The Morulina aren't breeding, but the population has stabilized in their new setup. I haven't had any deaths since the move. Also collected even more, oddly enough my Morulina now outnumber the Neanura. Haven't been able to find too many of the latter despite being very common before.

CSC_2209.JPG
CSC_2210.JPG
CSC_2215.JPG

Ponerinecat

Arachnoknight
Maybe seasonally abundant, dormant as eggs or similar?
That is the case, but this should be the season in which they are abundant. I found a few more in leaf litter today, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Found some cool looking yellowish Isotomurus, which I havent seen before.

CSC_2268.JPG
CSC_2275.JPG

Also found some black Sminthruinus elegans, the species is dimorphic but I'm not sure why.
Usual watermelon coloration,

CSC_2259.JPG

And the 4 spotted black coloration.

CSC_2252.JPG