• Very Good

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Very Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am going to be getting an A.Versicolor for X-Mas,and I would like to hear of any good OR bad experiences from people who own them.I love them cause they're so Hairy.

Exodus

P.S:Only post if you hav had an experience Don't post just to say "amazing",You can comment in your post though.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had the sling I have now for a few months, it has molted a three times and eats readily on pre-killed pray.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They're great spiders. Mine molted today and is about 3". They are beautiful and docile. Very fast though. Definitely worth having in your collection.
Mike

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine died as a sling for no reason at all. If I ever get another it will be an adult. It really hurt because he was the first T I owned that walked out on his own right onto my hand and said "WHAT CRICKETS AGAIN!!!!" ;P ;P ;P

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought a sling about three months ago and it has grown quite a bit and molted twice, or was it three times... I'm at work and don't have my records. My only problem with the T is that it spends all of it's time in it's web tube. I know this is not a problem for other people and I'm hoping it grows out of it. It readily comes out to hunt on it's own.

Botar

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
I used to have one years ago, i had no problems with it. Just remember to make sure it has plenty of ventilation. Stale air causes mold.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Exodus
I am going to be getting an A.Versicolor for X-Mas,and I would like to hear of any good OR bad experiences from people who own them.I love them cause they're so Hairy.

Exodus

P.S:Only post if you hav had an experience Don't post just to say "amazing",You can comment in your post though.
I have successfully bred them (got a very small sac of 15 though, young adult female) lings are sensitive to humidity and lack of airflow, once you get that right, piece of cake! I just fed a bunch of versicolor lings an hour ago, half of them ran out and jumped on the carpeted floor, ran all over me......its kinda fun!
:D
Ed

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Exodus
Not sure what you mean by this. I've found them to be a little nippy and/or jumpy and a little more prone to dehydration than other species of Avicularia, but that's not exactly 'bad'. In fact, the closest I've come to being bitten by any tarantula (ever) was with my A. versicolor adult female - I stuck my finger in and she literally lunged and grabbed it. No bite, but it definitely woke me up.

One thing that's particularly cool about versicolors is their penchant for hanging out in the open rather than hiding in their sockweb/tube/hideout. I have a fairly decent sized enclosure (similar to those small self-contained plastic fishtank kits you see in pet shops now) and she is usually out waiting for food rather than hiding under the cork bark wall retreat I made. She looks like a little photo-op spider. Always posed.

b

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nothing but good....

Versicolors are fantastic spiders and one of the best species going. Great looks along with decent size and a wonderful personality to boot. If not my favorite they are certainly right up there with any of them. They are very hard to beat. A tad more care is needed when they are 1st born but after they get a few molts on them they are as easy as any other species to keep. And on the nippy thing... I don't know what has to be done to one to make it nippy as I have yet to see any aggression at all from them ever.

Phil

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fantastic

Hi

I have 2 Versicolors.

One is about 2 - 3 inches, ( was 1 inch when I got it ) and the other one is about 1 1/2 inch now ( was 3/4 inch when I got it ) and they are awesome.

The smaller one is kinda lazy, waiting for me to feed at the top of web tube.

The bigger one just the other day ripped the web tube apart, ( it has grown up after several molts ) and made a huge web enclosure and is now very good display tarantula:)
A tarantula collection must at least have one Versicolor IMHO:)

I have had a fan running on low in front of my arboel cages all the time, it do dry the cages out faster so it needs a little more checking on the waterdishes inside cages concerning drying out faster, but all my arboels have molted just fine and no mold and so on.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with Philip...

They're a great species! I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Actually, the very first spider that bred for me was this species. The breeding resulted in some 60, but it would have been more if I didn't follow advice of someone who recommended the use of nylons for a hammock when rearing the eggsac. Mites came and ate. But 60 wasn't bad.
john

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Nothing but good....

Originally posted by Phillip
Versicolors are fantastic spiders and one of the best species going. Great looks along with decent size and a wonderful personality to boot. If not my favorite they are certainly right up there with any of them. They are very hard to beat. A tad more care is needed when they are 1st born but after they get a few molts on them they are as easy as any other species to keep. And on the nippy thing... I don't know what has to be done to one to make it nippy as I have yet to see any aggression at all from them ever.

Phil
when I was trying to seperate out the babies from the mother she got VERY defensive, I did not see how far she would push it so I got her out of the enclosure and then seperated out the babies. really surprised me to see a defensive reaction from a versicolor!
Ed

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had a molting problem with mine, but it has fully recovered and is doing great! The colors are just unbelievable, and the appetite too. Just yesterday night I saw him/her going all the way to the substrate and took a long nice drink out of the water dish, never seen that before! Since the pic it has molted one more time, and the mite problem has all but gone (you can see a lot of them on the chelicerae).
greetz,
Joost

Last edited: