Experience Level

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I'm sorry if this is already on the site somewhere, but I can't find it.... on the care sheets, there is a number on the "Experience Level" line. Is there corresponding text anywhere to tell what that number means?

(I always though I was a 10 dammit!!!:( )

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey there terri!

I don't think so? I'm sure someone could make one up, but...

i know this has been brought up before, but i think those numbers are more a general idea rather than exact...

i remember a couple of us posting on a small off-shoot on a thread recently about the numbers..

but whats your specific question?

peace
dave!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well, my Ts run the gamut from g. rosea that won't bite if you stuck your finger under her fangs, to the infamous "Little Orange Bitey Thing." Haven't been bit in 12 years, they all seem reasonably healthy... if the experience level on one said "10", I don't think that would deter me from purchasing it. But what about the newbies... I mean, maybe "Experience level" should say "Really mean. Will bite you. Hot venom. Needs care with humidity." or "Docile, good beginner species, will live through anything."

I'm not trying to split hairs, I was just wondering what the numbers mean and should they concern ME or just someone new to the hobby? Or am I just too damn curious? (Be honest!!!)

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would say it is just a completely rough estimate for newbies -

If I had one rosie that i was still scared of - and I was thinking about buying a level 9 spider because of it's looks - i would be wary.

Also - hopefully a higher number would encourage a would-be-owner to research that species more, so they could take the appropriate environmental considerations....

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Well I have only owned tarantulas for a little under 3 months and I own Tarantulas like the Usambara Orange, Togo Starburst and soon a Cobalt Blue and a few other so called aggressive T's. I like having the ratings just so you know whether or not you have to be careful around them but it doesnt detour me from buying a T. If I like it I buy it, and I think that should be how it is even if you are new to owning T's. Also I think those numbers should include how hard it is to take care of them in captivity. That is almost more important I would say to how mean and nasty they are because even if you are careful being around them, if you cant be there to take care of the ones that need exact humidity and so on then that should have a high rating. Maybe have 2 diff ratings for each T. One for how mean and how hot their venom is as well as having a rating for how hard they are to take care of. That would prob clear everything up. Anyways thats my view on it. I dont think the ratings that are being used now should detour people from buying a T it should just be there to warn them what they will be getting in to. As long as people use common sense they should be fine.

peace

TheDon

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Who, me?:D

ALL OF THEM!!

:D :D I only have 325 species to go!!!!:D :D

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey Mizm,

Sorry about not replying the first time this question came up. The ratings are pretty much an average with, defensiveness, ease of care and size all mixed in together. It's more of a guideline than anything else. As with any T, there may be exceptions to the norm. To be honest with you, the species caresheets really need to be redone. Maybe one of these years I'll actually have the time to sit down and do so.... :rolleyes:

Scott :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Thank you! My curiosity is satisfied! Now... if you can just decide if g. roseas are a passive or agressive species! The way people are talking around here, there could be a "Little Rose Bitey Thing!"

Thanks!

T:)

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say treat all spiders as little nasty bitey things until you know different. That way you can't go wrong, if they are nasty biters you were right. If they aren't, all the better for when you have to open the tank to clean them or whatever.

All spiders are different and not all of them read the ratings given to them. My B.smithi is SUPPOSED to be docile and an occasional hair-kicker. He's not, he's a full-time nasty biter:}

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
if anyone is taking suggestions on the care sheets, why not separate the difficulty rating into two ratings.

like so:

temperament: beginner - docile, calm, slow-moving (etc)

husbandry: beginner - hardy, thrives well under most conditions (etc)

stuff like that.

i started here and one of the things that concerned me most was there was very little said on the caresheets about specific CARE information. sure, i could see that this T or that was easier, but what do i put in the tank? what kind of environment do they need specifically? blah blah.

thanks.

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My thoughts exactly, Skadi. I feel that the arachnopets.com forums are far and away my favorite source for actual hands-on information via experienced T owners and professionals, but it seriously lacks in regards to static, detailed breakdowns of specific species care.

I always find myself googling the scientific names to find richer, more thorough texts on how to properly maintain my current "herd." Perhaps this is the strategy of the current caresheet layout - they only give you the basics in effort to encourage more activity in this community by sharing individual experiences rather than posting detailed recipes for proper T maintenance.

But still, there's something to be said for a document like this:

http://www.exopets.com/Care Sheet No[1].01 P. murinus.doc

Any idea on who we should direct our suggestions to about possible alterations to the current offerings on this site?

LCDXX

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i agree that's an awesome caresheet.

i'm not sure who to 'direct' stuff to, but earlier in this thread i think someone caught it.

i wouldn't worry, i'm sure it's being read. :) all the moderators have multiple eyes. (grin)

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Right, LCD. I don't agree that one care sheet says it all - at ANY site. You have to dig things up, read, and ask questions to find your own mix for care. I don't pay any ratings system any mind (no offense Scott). That's part of the fun in this hobby is the learning and exchange of information with people.

So, Terri, an Inland Empire Queen like yourself with a dozen years under your belt has no reason to ponder the workings of a simple ratings system - hell, you cuddle and hand feed your T's - that's a pro to me :D ! Your a 10, baby ;) !

D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Awww, thanks! But, I learn SO MUCH from you guys too!!! You're ALL a bunch of 10s!!

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by LCDXX
My thoughts exactly, Skadi. I feel that the arachnopets.com forums are far and away my favorite source for actual hands-on information via experienced T owners and professionals, but it seriously lacks in regards to static, detailed breakdowns of specific species care.

Perhaps this is the strategy of the current caresheet layout - they only give you the basics in effort to encourage more activity in this community by sharing individual experiences rather than posting detailed recipes for proper T maintenance.
Not a strategy at all. The caresheets contain what I feel is the most pertinant data needed to generate an optimum environment for that T.

Detailed recipes could be posted, but as with recipes, not everyone has the same tastes. In the case of t's, the environment in my house and how I take care of them (my recipe so to speak)may be completely different from the environment that your t's are in. In other words my recipe might not work for you and in fact may be detrimental to the health of your T's.

Each person needs to find out what works for them and their T's in their own environment. What works in my home probably would not work for someone in AZ where the RH is much lower, nor would it work for someone in Malaysia where the RH is much higher.

Everyone needs to judge for themselves what works best for them. The guidelines presented in the caresheets are just that, guidelines. They are not written in stone because that would be the quickest way to cause the death of someones pet.

The forums are here for you to learn from the experiences of the many as opposed to the few (me). :)

Any idea on who we should direct our suggestions to about possible alterations to the current offerings on this site?

LCDXX
As you may have guessed, that would be me. Notice the "He Who Rules" title under my forum name. :D Suggestions are always welcome.

Anyone can feel free to PM or email me with them.

Scott

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Good point Scott... I learn WAY more by asking YOU guys than on any caresheet. While a caresheet contains one set of options, I get the collective experience of MANY when I question something here. I look at caresheets to get a GENERAL idea about my new T, then come to "THE GOOD FOLKS AT ARACHNOPETS.COM" for any other questions or problems that might arise. (You REALLY need to make up those T-Shirts for US, your ardent followers, oh great one!!!)

And sorry, hope I didn't cause you to have to get to work on those caresheets!:D Maybe on "experience level" you should just insert "Post a thread!!"=D